Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Site using ONLY CSS--does it work for you?

Quote Reply
Site using ONLY CSS--does it work for you?
Greetings!

I have had my site running on pure CSS (no tables) for a few months, and I think I have most of the bugs worked out. Please take a quick look at it here and let me know if it looks OK to you. Two areas I know need attention:
  1. index page, sub-cats may run out the bottom of their div. This is due to my effort to keep the main-cat shaded divs lined-up. If you see this problem, let me know what your browser is set to (font-size).
  2. search options page, just dosen't look quite right. CSS and forms don't get along real nice, sometimes...

Anyway, they said it couldn't be done, so I just had to do it...Cool

Thanks for the feedback. If you have issues with it, please advise me as to what you're seeing, on which page, and the brand/version broswer you are using. Any questions on how-to, ask away! (A good place to start learning more about CSS is A List Apart.)

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Site using ONLY CSS--does it work for you? In reply to
it is truly amazing that you could use just css with links 2. Astounding would be a better word. I would not have thought it possible. That must have taken a lot of work!

Everything looks fine in IE 6. There are some problems when using NS 4.79 and Mozilla 1.0. I have IE 5 and NS 6.2 and 7 on my other computers so I'll try those later.

Which is one of the problems with a css site. All the browsers implement css differently and what works in one looks not-so-good in another or even worse.

And while I like simple, they tend to look simplistic.

But I love css. Best thing I every discovered in easing the pain of using tables/fonts, etc

A truly outstanding effort!!!

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Site using ONLY CSS--does it work for you? In reply to
Looks fine in IE 6.0, but doesn't look good at all in Netscape 4.73.

Although the following web page:

http://theonetruechurch.com/justachristian.shtml

in IE 6.0, the Site Features is moved to the top right of the page, rather than aligned with the body section in the other web pages.

It is the second attachment.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Jun 2, 2003, 6:54 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Site using ONLY CSS--does it work for you? In reply to
Thanks for the response! I mainly use IE6, but also test with Mozilla 1.3(netscape) and Opera 7.1. The second page Stealth posted is suffering from a stray /div, I will fix that.

With that site, I am subscribing to the theory of "forcing" visitors to upgrade to standards-compliant browsers. Those who continue to use older versions have been holding back the maturing of the Web. It should not be neccessary to design sites to be 'backwards-compatible' with relics like Netscape 4, and other outdated browsers.

I operate another site (non-Links) that uses a mix of tables and CSS. I am working to make it an accessible site (for disabled users), so it has a more traditional structure.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Site using ONLY CSS--does it work for you? In reply to
Quote:
but doesn't look good at all in Netscape 4.73.

Not much does.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Site using ONLY CSS--does it work for you? In reply to
People still use NS 4.7x ? I thought it was seen as ancient as IE 3 Laugh

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Site using ONLY CSS--does it work for you? In reply to
It's something that confuses me. When browser technology has advanced so much, I can't understand why people would choose to use something so out-dated. It's like using slate and chalk to write with when you could use a pencil and paper.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 3, 2003, 3:53 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Site using ONLY CSS--does it work for you? In reply to
>>>It's like using slate and chalk to write with when you could use a pencil and paper. <<<

or a touch screen PDA Laugh

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!