Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Question about Links 2.0 and LinksSQL

Quote Reply
Question about Links 2.0 and LinksSQL
How many links can be listed with Links 2.0 and LinksSQL and how long will it take to execute a search for both Links 2.0 and LinksSQL? Also is it hard to upgrade to links SQL. Is it possible to have close to a million sites listed with either version? Also instead of editing the templates through the admin can it be done manually and how much can it be customized?
Thanks in advance...
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Links 2.0 and LinksSQL In reply to
this all depends on your database.. if you have large fields like the description field as long as like 500 characters.. then with links2 you can get somewhere around 4000 links.. (and links will still run.. but not so well.. much slower..)

links sql.. you will almost never notice a difference with the speed.. you probably will be able to reach a million cause it is SQL.. but an oracle DB can practically handle unlimited but the thing is it costs money.. the thing is that both take diskspace.. if you have a larger db with links2.. you will run into cpu/system resource problems and have a chance of getting your site shutdown by your host..

jerry
Quote Reply
Widgetz,
Thank you for your reply, but while I was looking through Links 2.0 user sites I found one that said it had 750,000 sites listed and when I executed a search it handled the search request really fast. I don't mean to question what you say but can you be wrong or did he list his site under Links 2.0 by accident maybe? Again thank you for your reply. Oh yeah what did you mean by "this all depends on your database.. if you have large fields like the description field as long as like 500 characters.. then with links2 you can get somewhere around 4000 links.." do you mean the description fields that webmasters fill out for there site when submitting it? If so can't I just limit the number of characters one can put while filling out the form?
Thanks again..
Quote Reply
Ok, widgetz is saying that the size of the description the webmasters enter can effect the size of the database. If yo are going to be running a site with arould 1 million links, it would take 5 - 10 minutes to search in a regular db, if you server could even handle it. I suggest contacting alex about a custom sollution/modified verson of LinksSQL to work with some large size database such as Oricle. Do not plan on running a site like this on a shared/virtual server as your host would kill you.

------------------
Have Fun,

Jimz
Quote Reply
Ok, widgetz is saying that the size of the description the webmasters enter can effect the size of the database. If yo are going to be running a site with arould 1 million links, it would take 5 - 10 minutes to search in a regular db, if you server could even handle it. I suggest contacting alex about a custom sollution/modified verson of LinksSQL to work with some large size database such as Oricle. Do not plan on running a site like this on a shared/virtual server as your host would kill you.

------------------
Have Fun,

Jimz
Quote Reply
umm. thee.. links 2 has been known to only hold around 4000 links.. if it was able to hold 750,000.. don't you think links sql would have been pointless??

just think.. i think you will understand that some day..

oh yea.. the site you went to.. give me URL.. i totally doubt it.. unless of course the database is..

ID|Title|URL

that would handle some more.. (my spider was able to handle 50,000 with URL|Title|Description|Size)

but that is not much still..

jerry
Quote Reply
Widgetz,
yeah it appears that you are right sorry I went back and took a deeper look and this is the site I was referring to:
Web-Source.net - A webmasters resource directory offering thousands
of quality resources to assist the webmaster in designing, marketing and
promoting their web sites, products and services. Highlights include:
Webmasters Directory, Open Directory with access to over 750,000
sites, Autoresponder Information Directory, Ezines Directory,
CGI/JavaScript Directory, media/press release listings, tutorials, Free
ebooks, free ebook compilation service, Free classified ads across
30,000 sites and more. new
(Added: 1-Oct-1999 Hits: 60 Rating: 10.00 Votes: 1) Rate It

I guess I just scanned it really quick and saw 750,000 and assumed it was all maitained by Links. What do you think the maximum number of links Links SQL can hold?
Later

[This message has been edited by Thee_Host (edited October 15, 1999).]
Quote Reply
no one has reached the maximum... so... we don't know Wink

but it's alot..

jerry
Quote Reply
Alex did say in June that he did try a copy of the Dmoz directory in LinksSQL, but wasent every happy about the search results in the time they were taking. It really depends on the server, like if you were using a Apple PowerMac G4 500MHz server, with 1.5GB of RAM, and Dual Ultra Wide SCSI Hard Drives running Mac OS X Server (its unix) with RAID level 2 running, comepared to your normal everyday PC server, links would run allot faster.

------------------
Have Fun,

Jimz