Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Populating Links Database through ODP's Dumps

Quote Reply
Populating Links Database through ODP's Dumps
Has anyone tried to populate his Links database by extracting information from ODP's RDF dumps?

How did you do it?

Regards!
Quote Reply
Re: Populating Links Database through ODP's Dumps In reply to
Some people have tried it, but it is a bit cumbersome and chunky.

Your best bet is to upgrade to SQL, which will soon have a spidering component to it.

There is also a "spidering" mod for regular links that adds links to your database. It is a bit expensive, but some people have found it quite useful. Go to the Resource Center to find this Mod.

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
But if you do want to use the RDF's, this thread may be usefull:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m11/HTML/000984.html

I used the RDF-to-Links conversion program discussed there, but only got it to work after cutting out nearly 250 megs of data I didn't need from content.rdf.
Quote Reply
Lordmouse:

Thanx for pionting me to the previous thread on this topic. Did you use the Hyperseek utility and what's your site?

Quote Reply
RAZA,

You should download and install the other export utility rather than use the one at Hyperseek. jcokos said he hasn't had time to update the RDFs at his site.

I haven't finished the site I'm using the RDFs on yet. I'm basicly just waiting for my administrator to give me the extra 15MB that he promised. I suppose you can take a look at it though. http://www.lycghost.cjb.net
Quote Reply
lordmouse,

Which "other" export utility? And where to get it? Also, does it read from the RDF dumps or somewhere else, and will I have to download both content and structure files on to my PC and then run the export utlitity?

One of main concern is that I only want links on a speific topic and related catergories.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by RAZA (edited December 14, 1999).]