Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Not sure what to name this problem!

Quote Reply
Not sure what to name this problem!
I added a second link to one of my categories and if you go to the link below you'll see what happened.

http://www.familyavenue.com/...cial_Needs_Children/

Make sure to scroll down to see the problem.

What did I do wrong? Help me please! :(
Quote Reply
Re: [MomofThree] Not sure what to name this problem! In reply to
I also want to note, that I'm real new to this and did have a lot of troubles getting this to work. But I finally did. Obviously my knowledge on this is not good and really need someone to let me know what I did wrong here. I bet it's something that may be stupid to answer, but I need help please :(

Last edited by:

MomofThree: Feb 10, 2003, 12:54 PM
Quote Reply
As I wait for a reply, I've been playing around hoping to find the answer. I took all my tables (layout) off and then the links appear underneath each other, like they should be. So it's obvious that when I place the links code into a table, is when I have the problem. It would dublicate the look and links would show up seperately.
Quote Reply
It looks like you added HTML for an entire page to the link.html template, which as its name suggests defines how each individual link looks.

You should add the HTML to category.html instead.
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] Not sure what to name this problem! In reply to
Oh man you will all say "This chick is stupid". This is my very first time installing something. Yep you read it right. My husband used to take care of this. "Gulp"...I added my site's html on all pages, but the category. I majorly messed it up didn't I?

Okay I'm going to redo the templates from scratch. So if I want everything to have my site's look, the only html template I should edit is the category?

I won't do a single thing until I hear from a someone. I'm feeling pretty stupid right now.Crazy
Quote Reply
link.html is the only template that defines the look of a block of HTML rather than an entire page, if I remember rightly.

If in doubt, it's easy to tell the difference, as templates controlling the look of entire pages have a DOCTYPE declaration at the top, followed by the HTML tag.

link.html just contains a block of code to include in the other pages.

I hope that makes sense.
Quote Reply
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you helping me out. :)

I took the html out of link.html and now I just get the colored background. Click on the link again and you'll see what I mean.
Quote Reply
YEEEEEEEEEEESSS!!! It worked. But now I noticed that the 2nd lick takes me to a page not found. I may try deleting it and entering it again to see if it works.Cool
Quote Reply
Quote:
I took the html out of link.html and now I just get the colored background.
Should there be something else there that isn't showing up, or did you mean the problem was fixed?

It looks okay to me - other than the images looking like clickable links when they aren't. (I'm assuming you removed most of the links from the main menu on purpose.)
Quote Reply
The site is not live yet, so nothing is clickable. I wanted to make sure I could figure this out before doing anything else. Everything is working fine now. Thank you so much for helping me. Now my headache is not so bad. :D