Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Moving the whole domain to a new server...

Quote Reply
Moving the whole domain to a new server...
Hi!

I'd like a small brief on how to move the whole Links structure to a new server we're setting up, so I don't get any permissions issue nor any other nastiness...

THanks!

------------------
Alex Tutusaus
Atyc WebDesigns
http://www.webcamworld.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Moving the whole domain to a new server... In reply to
Welp...People like myself have Links structured in a different way than the default directory configurations. I use the full absolute path to require the links.cfg file based on the different location of that file.

OTHER LINK users have done the same thing and one of the problems they confront when switching to a new domain or server is that they forget to change the absolute paths to required files in their script.

Also, in some web servers, like IIS, you have to use the full absolute path, including the drive where the file is located, when requiring files.

Example:

In IIS, you cannot use the following required file codes:

Code:
require "../data/links.cfg";

You have to use the following:

Code:
require "C:/InetPub/wwwroot/account/cgi-bin/links/data/links.cfg";

Quote:
Why would that need to be checked on, unless someone were to set Links up with a non-standard structure?

I was just providing another piece of useful information in case this person or any other person in the future has problems executing their admin.cgi file on another server.

Sorry to be helpful.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
I believe there's an FAQ about this in the resource center. If you've successfully setup Links once, moving should not present any problems (server oddities aside). Just set it up again, copy over your data files, and set links.cfg to your new server paths. That should do it. Smile

Dan
Quote Reply
Also, don't forget to make sure that you have the paths correctly set-up for the required files in your admin.cgi file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Eliot,

Why would that need to be checked on, unless someone were to set Links up with a non-standard structure? The only thing I can think of to check would be the path to perl...

Dan
Quote Reply
Nothing wrong with being helpful. I was just confused as to the reason for your pointer, and could see other people being similarly confused...

This is getting off-topic, but what is to be gained by changing (or specifying) the location of links.cfg? I can think of two possible reasons:

1) You have modified scripts so heavily that not everything is in the admin directory and a full path is needed.

2) Extra security so people cannot guess the directory structure. Of course, this would be a last line of defense...

Is there something else I'm missing?

Dan
Quote Reply
I do not like using defaulted directory structures of MOST if not all cgi scripts. I like to organize the files in a meaningful manner that is easy for me to manage. Also, for added security as well...I have directories set-up with different .htaccess files and other password scripts.

It is basically personal preference...However, I have noticed other users have organized their directory structures in different ways as well. And when they move to new servers or domains, they need to add to their checklist the required file calls in scripts to make sure everything works.

That's all...Anymore questions?????????????????????????????

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 12, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Yes, 1 more:

Since modifing the DNSs on the Internic registry takes a while to get updated throrought the whole Internet, how would you make a server transfer without loosing a single submission on either the old or the new database?

------------------
Alex Tutusaus
Atyc WebDesigns
Quote Reply

Quote:
...server transfer without loosing a single submission on either the old or the ne database?

I don't understand your question. Please be more specific.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Let's see, the new server won't be accessible until the domain transfer is completed, so this should work:

1) disable (remove) add.cgi on the new server while setting it up, just in case someone gets an ISP that propogated early...

2) accept adds on the old server up until the domain transfer goes through. You should still have ftp access to the old server, so at that point copy your data directory files to the new server and enable add.cgi.

That should ensure that one and only one database is accepting additions at any given time. Smile

Dan
Quote Reply
Hey!

That's what I was talking of. Good point to disable add.cgi Wink Thanks!

In order to avoid "removing it" from every template, do you think chmoding it to a non executable status will do the job? I guess people dont like to see "500 Error" on their screens.

Any other ideas?

------------------
Alex Tutusaus
Atyc WebDesigns
Quote Reply
Personally, I would just risk the 500 error by removing add.cgi. Assuming that a) you are on top of the domain transfer, and b) you don't have an inordinate number of submissions, the odds that anyone will submit while you are moving the data files should be pretty slim. That seems preferable to modifying all the templates, unless someone comes up with an alternative solution...

You could also put a note on the main page (home.html) saying submissions cannot be accepted on the new domain until the transfer is complete.

Dan