Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Mass/Bulk loading link entries

Quote Reply
Mass/Bulk loading link entries
What flat text file format can I use to bulk upload alot of links to Links2? I am putting together a phone directory along with links to sites in Savannah, Georgia for a city guide. Thanks, Gene Cayce
Gene99
Quote Reply
Re: [gene99] Mass/Bulk loading link entries In reply to
Not sure what you mean by 'format'. Any text editor will do. Word and other word-processors sometimes throw in stuff you can't see, but that the server will read. Actually, it won't read, and thus not work. I use TextPad, bud even MS Wordpad will do.

Links uses | pipes | as the stock delimiter, but you change that in links.cfg if you need to.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Mass/Bulk loading link entries In reply to
I was wondering about excel or just doing the data straight into the cgi pages. I have a data entry company logging 35,000 names, addresses, phone #s & they need the fastest, easiest way to upload them to my directory. Do you know is it easy to transfer these links from Links2 to Links3? I've had extensive experience in the past w/ Links2 but it's been 7 - 8 years. I forgot how to do anything! Thanks, Gene Cayce
Gene99
Quote Reply
Excel can export as a pipe-delimited file, so it will do the job. Just remember to also update the linksid.txt file with correct number (same as the last numbered entry in you database). I have read that upgrading is easy, probably more info in the Links SQL forums...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Mass/Bulk loading link entries In reply to
Could I pay you to do this when the time comes? Thanks, Gene Cayce
Gene99
Quote Reply
Sorry, I have too many projects lined up already, can't take on any more... Crazy

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie