Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links vs Links SQL

Quote Reply
Links vs Links SQL
I've been playing around with getting Links2 installed and also reading through both Links/Links-SQL boards. I dont understand ... could I stick with Links2 if I have few links (eg less than 10,000) but loads of visitors (eg > 100,000). Also, could I run multiple Links2 for, say, classifieds, jobs, news, etc within the same scenario or am I really looking at getting Links-SQL.. or some other solution (combo of Links + DBMan..? I guess what I'm really asking is if a site got popular, would an investment in Links2 start looking a bit rocky, even if the number of links weren't an issue..
Quote Reply
Re: Links vs Links SQL In reply to
Don't upgrade to links SQL, the search engine is very bad, it is better on the normal links.

Read this:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum9/HTML/000110.html
Quote Reply
Why go with a Pentium III? When you can go with A PowerPC G4 chip designed by IBM. They perform a Giga Flop (or 1 Billion Floating Point Instructions in a second). When combind with MACOSXS or LinuxPPC running RedHat - you have a awesome server setup.
Quote Reply
Thanks. So,if I stuck with Links2.0, and had less than 10K links (with relatively short descriptions) in each of my 'directories' .. at what point would these directories start having performance problems, i.e. 100 visitors per day, 1000, 10,000,.. 100 'search' requests in the same minute..? etc.. - assume that I can get adequate storage (500MB+) and bandwidth (OC3, etc) provided by the web-hosting company..
Quote Reply
you also have to take the computer speed into account when doing this if you have your own server you get all the cpu and load on the puter and a Pentium III can serve way more links than say links running on a Pentium so if you upgrade to your own server and load the server prob Linux box Pentium II or III with max ammount of memory you will prob be fine
Quote Reply
Thanks all - does sound awesome (if only I understood!) .. hehe .. sounds to me like you're all saying that I'm gonna be OK with Links2 .. and then when (or if ever!) I got > 100 visitors per day I could both celebrate and not be worried about upgrading Links, rather think about upgrading the hardware .. Right? Thx.
Quote Reply
correct!!