Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links or DBman

Quote Reply
Links or DBman
I've got an idea for advertising on my links site. But I need a little guide on how to do it.

1. My idea is to allow the sponsor or myself to add the advert information into a database.

2. Rotate the banners on a daily basis, not every time someone goes to the page. (That removes webadverts!)

3. When someone clicks on a banner it brings them not to the sponsors site, but a page that I have created from the database above! That way if the surfer doesn't think that the sponsor has what he is looking for, I don't loose them.

4. When the sponsor or me adds the information into the database, it will create a page with the information supplied into it.

Now, I've torn Links apart more than once, but I've never used DBman, which one would work better?

Or am I completely off the mark?
Quote Reply
Re: Links or DBman In reply to
I've seen sites do what you're trying to do. Every single site ends up going back to rotating advertisements. Fewer and fewer people are clicking on advertisements (probably because there are so many) and adding one additional click to get to your advertisers web site probably won't sit well with your visitors or your advertisers.

But, as for your question... I would have to say that either would probably work fine. I haven't done much with DBMan, but the new version of Links just seems to be an extension of DBMan. The benefit of using Links (2.0) is that you can automatically build your pages. You can also keep an (shorter, less detailed) index of advertisers (and whatever else) along with your detailed pages about each advertiser.