Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links and CPU Usage

Quote Reply
Links and CPU Usage
My webhost service has just shut my Links site down because of excessive CPU usage. My database contained about 1,760 links -- I would guess the file size to be about 4mg. Last night I built new pages and the whole process took 46 seconds. Today it took 10 minutes. I believe the problem is with my webhosts server and not my Links site -- this site has been up and running for about 6 weeks without issues. Has anyone out there had similar problems? How would I go about proving the problem is not with Links? Anyone know a good webhosting service?

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Links and CPU Usage In reply to
As a suggestion, check out http://www.surfme.com/ for hosting. Although I don't have an answer to as to why your host would shut down your site, unless they were already under stress from it's other users processes. Seems weird that one day your build would take less than 1 minute to build, and the next a healthy 10 minutes. Sounds like server overload to me, which I would suggest (if they let you put Links back up) that you run your builds in a cron job during off peak hours while CPU usage is at it's lower demand.

In relation to this type of problem, if large links DB files are what's causing heavy CPU usage, what would it take, in the way of adding extra code, to configure Links to utilize "Low Mem" so it doesn't use up as much CPU power?

A fairly power C program (Analog) takes advantage of Low Mem while reading in a 100MB log file in less than a minute during peak hours while it gather's it data, but it is possible for a cgi script to utilize the same to be a little more CPU friendlier?
Quote Reply
double post -- deleted
oops!

[This message has been edited by Liz (edited March 15, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I would tend to agree with Liz on this. I have seen varying times for building of pages with Links (I have about 1300+ links). Sometims it takes about 2 minutes, sometimes it takes 5 or more. The time is certainly based on server demand at the time and resource availability.

Excessive CPU usage by Links may be based on how often you rebuild the pages and how often you verify the links. The loading of the html pages in browsers or searching your database should not take anymore CPU time then any other similar document or search engine.

If you finally decide to move your site, please do check out Orphanage Services, located at http://www.orphanage.com/index.html .