Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links SQL : Database Design, Configuration + Multi-Cat

Quote Reply
Links SQL : Database Design, Configuration + Multi-Cat
Hello Experts!

Now, this new world of SQL takes me on the ride and I need to ask you the question and also beleive that this may be interesting or helpful to others as well.

Question :
1 - Links SQL (or v2.0) has a fixed colums design of the database. Why? Does this not require more space? When having 1,00,000 rows, every byte of space becomes more important.
2 - What is more efficient - more databases on the server and less tables or everything could be in the same database with different tables.
3 - Several months ago, I saw Language Links and I found this concept really very interesting, conceptually. Everybody here knows that I am not a profi and never really managed to install this scripts myself at all. They never worked. I am sure others managed and also had the pleasure to use it.

Can one make such "Multi-definition" configuration of the database? Well, why not? Simply, make a switch somewhere, for the language!!!

4 - While adding new definitions one has to give the VARCHAR / The size. Does this really matter?

5 - If I have 1,00,000 links in a table with all the normal information that the fat file makes from v2.0, for e.g. Then would it not be better to have it fragmented for the performance of SQL? I mean if I have the Key ID + few more data in the table and then further divide them, that would offer better performance.
6 - Multi - Cat mode. This mod from Bobsie has been so popular. Bobsie, will you also offer a modification of the Links SQL version also?
While studying the routines of Links, I notices that conceptually, it takes Category/Category/Category... (Cat or Alt_Cat) And then the script ""Cleans it"".
My suggestion :- If from the begining if there was a system that there is no trailing slash names of the categories but simple names, for e.g. Instead of Canada/TheBeautiful/Vancouver/Says/OnTheHomepageOF/Gossamer if it was

Canada
TheBeautiful
Vancouver
Says
OnTheHomepageOF
Gossamer

Then all these could be related to anather set of hierarchies. Each set of hierarchy has a theme and they could be linked or grouped to form a bigger Matrix thereby giving a structure to buildup the ""Categories_Unclean""
This would give birth of a system or a concept of Multi-Categories. May be...........

------------------
rajani

[This message has been edited by rajani (edited June 26, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL : Database Design, Configuration + Multi-Cat In reply to
Hello!

This topic has been discontinued here as there is a new forum and this post is shifted to the other forum.

Thanks.

------------------
rajani