Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links2 is looking for LINKS.DB, but I've never had one of those!?!

Quote Reply
Links2 is looking for LINKS.DB, but I've never had one of those!?!
so I'm trying to move links2 to a news server. the public side seems to be working just fine, but not much works on the backend at all. the big error I keep getting that is confusing the crap out of me is:

Code:
error in validate_records. unable to open db file: /var/www/html/keepschoolssafe_org/cgi-bin/links/admin/data/links.db.
Reason: No such file or directory

I'm confused because I've checked both the new and old installs of Links and neither seem to have a links.db file anywhere. What's going on here? How did the old install work flawlessly without this? How do I fix this?

TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: [cf3909] Links2 is looking for LINKS.DB, but I've never had one of those!?! In reply to
That's impossible - where do you think your links are stored?

Unless you've assigned a different file name for your database, link.db is where all your info is kept.

Look at the bottom of your links.cfg file and see what is next to $db_links_name. Default is = "$db_script_path/data/links.db"; but you might have changed links.db to something else.
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Links2 is looking for LINKS.DB, but I've never had one of those!?! In reply to
Quote:
That's impossible - where do you think your links are stored?

I guess I don't know where they are stored since I definately don't have a links.db file, and it appears I never did. Were things different in older versions? I'm using links2, but the install of it was done back in 2001 I think.

I do have an url.db file, which I suspect might be my actual link.db, but how can I tell? And how are things suddenly different when all I did was move the script over to a new server? It was 100% error free on the old server, I move it, and suddenly it's looking for different files?
Quote Reply
Re: [cf3909] Links2 is looking for LINKS.DB, but I've never had one of those!?! In reply to
url.db is an abreviated version of links.db, which consists of the ID number and URL fields.

When you moved your site, did you move your links install, or did you move all the generated pages as well?

If you moved the generated pages, then that's why those work, because without links.db, you cannot build any pages.

To me, it sounds like you missed a file or two when you made the move and/or have the paths/urls wrong in links.cfg

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Links2 is looking for LINKS.DB, but I've never had one of those!?! In reply to
I can't imagine I missed a file, but I don't really see any other explanation either. But, where the heck did it go? I mean I still have the old server running and I only copied the files down, and there's no links.db up there...

anyway, worst case scenerio: if I lost links.db entirely is there anything I can do to get it back, aside from finding it :)
Quote Reply
check and see if your old installation still works properly. perhaps you deleted links.db...?

there should be backups in your old install, unless you removed them.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Links2 is looking for LINKS.DB, but I've never had one of those!?! In reply to
In your backup file ( usually cgi-bin/links/admin/backup ) you should have some files that look like 8-May-2005.links. You need to copy this to your data file ( usually cgi-bin/links/admin/data ) and rename it to links.db. That should be all you need to do but if you get a server error you may have to CHMOD to 755 and check your paths in links.cfg.

BTW - all of these files can be opened in Wordpad to view their contents.