Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

LWP and Supporting Modules

Quote Reply
LWP and Supporting Modules
I am trying my best to get the Parallel user checker to work in Links. I got the LWP module and found that it required many supporting modules to be installed first. So I went and found them all, and installed them all. Finally I was able to install the actual LWP module clean, without any warnings or dependancy errors. So then I went to check out Linsk to see if my "Verify" function was working as intended. It's not, and I don't understand why... It's still using the IO::Socket method instead.

Does anyone have a clue as to what else should be installed? I ended up installing 7 or 8 modules just now from dependancy errors, and pre-requisite errors. And I'm pretty clueless now why it's still not right...

Anyone...Anyone???

Oh, BTW, I'm running RedHat 5.2,Apache,Perl 5.004...

------------------
destiney - (des’-ti-nêy) - n. 1. diety of all things "html", 2. internet addict, 3. lover of late '80's heavy metal music, 4. see also - cool guy, des, mr. java, "It's 3:00a.m., your website is still up, why are you?" http://destiney.com
Quote Reply
Re: LWP and Supporting Modules In reply to
It has been my experience, (as well as others Smile ) that the LWP methods fails if you have more than 100 or so links. if you can get the socket method to work I would use it. Alex said he was looking for an alternative to the LWP module included with links. So stay tuned.

Aaron

------------------
www.serve.com/garden/links
www.serve.com/garden/aaron
www.serve.com/garden/board

Quote Reply
And I am hearing this only after Alex guided me on how to install the LWP Module and the 8 supporting modules required to be installed first... Geez I feel like I accomplished a whole lot now...

------------------
destiney - (des’-ti-nêy) - n. 1. diety of all things "html", 2. internet addict, 3. lover of late '80's heavy metal music, 4. see also - cool guy, des, mr. java, "It's 3:00a.m., your website is still up, why are you?" http://destiney.com
Quote Reply
While my online Links verification fails on the web, it has never failed on my localhost copy either directly or via a browser.

destiney's problem does not sound like a timeout is the problem. For some reason, it does not know that LWP is installed. Maybe a system restart would correct the problem? Not sure, but it may be worth a try.
Quote Reply
Well, I hadn't thought of that, so I tried it. Still I get this:

Unable to load Parallel User Checker. System Error:
--
--
Using IO::Socket method instead.

I just don't get it, I got all these modules installed, but it still doesn't work...

------------------
Quote Reply
destiney,

Can you show a tree of your LWP directory under perl? It might be in the wrong place.
On my Linux (redhat) system, IO is a subdirectory of /usr/lib/perl5 instead. On my local PC (Windows95 based using ActivePerl), IO is a subdirectory of perl/lib.

Do you even have IO on your system? It is not really part of LWP that I can see.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited April 22, 1999).]