Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Hyperseek v Links

Quote Reply
Hyperseek v Links
There seems to be a lot of misinfo about Hyperseek here.

As a user of Hyperseek ( standard ver )these are my pros and cons.

Pros

It is stunningly customisable, I have noticed people here saying that it is just restricted to headers and footers but I would have to disagree strongly with that one.

It is fast, I run over 2000 links at a good speed, backed up with a good server you are laughing.

The Admin and control panel offers a very high level of functionally making spidering, submissions, reviews and customisations a straight forward process.

Value for money : Seriously once you start checking out Ultraseek CCE ( Infoseek ) and Altavista's portal software you realise just how stunningly expensive they are and start to appreciate just what you get for you money with Hyperseek. I paid about $400 I think last year.

Integration with other software eg UBB eshare etc. Okay a few of Hyperseek's features, rankings, forums etc need to mature inmho. No probs just chuck them and add in your favorite third party code, UBB forums, Elitehost mail management, membership proggies etc.

Support: Now this is both a pro and a con because for what they are, they do real well by managing with only a few people. Problems do get fixed and fixed well but turnaround is occasionally slow. But they need more peeps, a proper quality assurance, marketing and bug testing programme.

Cons

Upgrading is scary, you never know if you are going to stuff up your web site.

Version documentation is too vague and doesn't match each file release.

Full functionality is server dependent, needing additional perl modules, eg LWP

Learning curve is steep and the time it takes to build a top notch site is considerable.

Round up

Hyperseek is a stones throw from being a top notch enterprise. I think they should spend money to make money - on techies, installers, bug hunters and assistant programmers. As of now it is highly stable and mature software,it contains a wealth of features that will make a site really shine.

I have noticed a number of sites, including the Threads Inc forums that state many features are lacking when in fact they are not. Reviewers should evaluate the latest version. This applies to Links, Hyperseek or any other script.

Check my site out to see my hyperseek implementation.

Its not perfect (yet) but it does show what is possible for professional designers. More importantly though, it does what it set out to do, which is what counts.

http://www.searchgate.co.uk/

Chris

If you have sound html skills and experience of cgi-installs then Hyperseek will do just fine. http://www.hyperseek.com

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Hyperseek v Links In reply to
I myself liked the way he informed some, of the misconception of hyperseek, though i agree with Eliot on the posting of hyperseek pros and cons in a links forum, i like how he didn't bash links, and not only said pros which most people only tend to do, but also said the cons, which were as many as the pros, and some were true, like comparing it to Altavista and Ultraseek, but i wouldn't go with hyperseek, I'd stay with links, and go up to links-sql
Quote Reply
What is your point for posting a HyperSeek advertisement in the LINKS Discussion Forum? What do you seek to gain by posting this Thread? It is in my opinion in poor taste to post a Thread like this in another software's forum.

Are there LINKS users who go over to the Hyperseek Newsgroup boasting the benefits of LINKS? I don't think so.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Hi Chris!

Nice site! Some of the words used here to describe Hyperseek have been incorrect and thanks for bringing those to our attention.

For myself I actually get some of the Hyperseek newsgroups merely for interest sake. Financially it is beyond me to purchase.

Obviously I use links on our site and have found with our limited knowledge we have with the help of the many willing hands here in the Links forum we have a reasonable working search engine and Classified Ads directory.

I think both pieices of software have lots going for them and in the end people will choose to use whatever suits them and their pockets. Smile

Thanks for droppoing by and having your say.

------------------
http://www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Quote Reply
Hmm!

Actually its far from an advertisement, nothing of the sort in fact if you read carefully.

Rather, it is an educated response to a number of threads in this BBS that do discuss the relative differences between the two programs.

Also Links users do post in the Hyperseek news group and so they should in my opinion. Its not about promotion at all but about establishing what product will work best for your site.

Everybody has different goals and want their own sites to perform in a variety of different ways. That is why it is important to be correctly informed.

As an experienced user of Hyperseek and other directory software I felt I could make an honest contribution and share my experiences with Hyperseek.

Links is evidently a very capable program, I admit I have not used it or worked with it so I am certainly not going to slander it, that is not my intention at all.

Hyperseek V Links is a popular topic in this BBS and I am entitled to offer my views on the subject. They are not promotional, just based on experience with Hyperseek, that all.

Regards everyone.

Chris
Quote Reply
Chris,

I agree with Eliot. Since you are starting an entirely new thread and not replying to a question someone asked regarding comparison, this thread definitely does not belong here.

It is like you going to a party and telling the host and everyone else how great you think someone else's party was.

Besides, what is the downside to using links and why someone should pay $400 for hyperseek, instead?
Quote Reply
I wouldn't know if there was a downside to Links or not, like I said in my previous, I haven't used it, only read about it. Im sure its an excellent package nevertheless.

There probably is a better place for this sort of discussion but its my first time here and as I spotted a few other threads of this sort it seemed a good bet, that's not too important anyhow in the scheme of things.

So how much does Links cost anyway and what would you say are its main selling points?

How easy is it to install?

Regards

Chris
Quote Reply
Why don't you check out the LINKS script page to find out more about the pricing and its features, or contact Alex directly?

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Hi,
Lets see if I am qualified to Talk links user since 12/18/98 at http://www.shaned.com and hyperseek user since march 99 at http://www.searchlynx.com
What bothers me most about any discussion is when people spout off about something they know nothing about.
Both programs are excellent. One comes customized with many modules and one you have to install them yourself and have to know your way around code.
For some $400 is worth paying to have it set up for you have intergrated banner program very user friendly interface to administer the whole setup. Top sites voting script rate it, comments new cool and a whole lot more.
Links is good when you add on the different modules that people have created and is a good way to learn code.
Shane Dolby
owner of both programs
Quote Reply
It bothers me when people say something about people knowing they don't know as much, not owning both of course. There could been nicer ways to say than saying we know nothing about, as if you are a perl wizard, no offense. Not everyone knows everything so you should enlighten us.
Quote Reply
I appreciate Chris's comments because I am currently trying to decide between purchasing Links or Hyperseek for one of my websites. This particular site would have to use Links SQL so the cost between the two scripts in this case is comparable. The features that attract me most to Hyperseek are the integrated banner manager, the branded search engine option, and the ability to customize the appearance of the category listings. This is the one sore point I have with Links -- the difficulty involved in customizing the category listings (specifically the 2 column category trap). Thanks again Chris for your comments.
Quote Reply
$450, and $900, I dont think so...
Quote Reply
The basic version of Hyperseek is $400.00. Supposedly Hyperseek version 6 will handle up to "40,000 links with speeds up to 4x those of SQL Servers." The only reason I am considering Hyperseek is the amount of customization that is possible with that script versus Links.
Quote Reply
I just thought I'd chime in that as a Links user I appreciated this post and thread. Sharing information about different options--particularly informed information--helps everyone.

Folks who are trying to decide on the best links management software for their needs get to make an informed decision. And users and developers who are already commited to either program get a chance to get ideas on what improvements could be made in the next development or future mods.

Cheers,
- John
Quote Reply
Yes I would agree with that 100% its not about scoring points, my script is better than yours and all that. That sort of discussion helps nobody.

Rather it concerns understanding precisely the pros and cons of BOTH programs and determining which will offer the maximum productivity for your own site.

Everyone has different requirements and it is usually from the users, rather than the designers that people get to hear of just how well each package performs.

So although in hindsight this topic may have been better placed elsewhere, I actually think it has turned into a very useful thread so far.

Good stuff, keep it up.

Regards all

Chris

http://www.searchgate.co.uk/

------------------