Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

How many links are possible?

Quote Reply
How many links are possible?
Hi,

I have looked in this forum,to how many links are possible in links 2.0
But,I am asking now,are there sites with more - lets say- 10.000 links (or maybe between 5.000 and 10.000),I am wondering if that is possible,and how it works by your site.

I have now 2000 links,and it's working well yet,but the database is growing,so i am wondering untill what time i crash :-)

Thanks for your help.

regards,
Mario

Quote Reply
Re: How many links are possible? In reply to
I have seen sites who have 3,000+ links and asked their owners if they are running links 2.00 or links sql and they have answered they are running links 2.00 without problems.

Carlos Alcocer
http://www.arquired.net
Quote Reply
I'm using Links Non-SQL (2):

- 7,686 links
- 43 categories
- no added fields
- 75 minutes to build (once daily) via cron
- typical search time of 2-5 sec
- no database corruption or crashes

How many links are possible has been put at 5,000 (1 MB) by Eliot. And that is probably a good rule of thumb for flatfile databases. Sooner or later you will have to upgrade to Links SQL - or at least split your links database. However, the upper limit will vary according to whether you are hosted virtually or dedicated (I'm dedicated so I have more cpu resources available to handle Links). It will also vary according to your server specs (e.g., RAM) and other processes working in the background - especially if you are hosted virtually.

Dan Cool

Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply.I can now build further mine database to a maxium of lets say 5000.I know if there are problems with Links 2.0 that you can switch over to SQL,but that's not free to use :-)

Ok thanks everyone for your help

Regards,
Mario

Quote Reply
I have a links database of more than 1MB 1.042MB to be exact with 8257 links and 791 categories. It's still running strong.

Hee! Hee!
http://www.dotmy.com.my
http://www.dotmy.com.sg
Quote Reply
Number of Links depends on the following factors:

1) Your server power (RAM and MEMORY) - the more, the better.

2) The number of fields you have in the links.def. The more fields you add, the less links you will be able to store.

3) The size of fields. The larger fields you have (like more than 500 characters), the less links you will be able to store.

There are other factors that have been previously discussed in this forum.

The default installation of Links 2.0 has been tested on a variety of servers and platforms...the average number is 5,000 links at around 1.0 MGs of disk space.

If you think that you are going to exceed this amount and also if you are planning on adding large fields in your database, then it is time to say hello to Links SQL.

Regards,

Eliot Lee