Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

How I can add links to database offline?

Quote Reply

Is possible with access ?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How I can add links to database offline? In reply to
I'd like to know this too. If you have 60,000 links to enter it could get expensive sitting online while you are doing it.
Quote Reply
Use Excel. Open the file and make the delimeter "|"

Then save it as a tab-delimeted file. Open notepad and do a mass replace on the tabs with a |.

------------------
Quote Reply
I think the file in question should be:

links.db

This can be edited as suggested.
Quote Reply
Why not run links on your standalone using server software and perl, then you can enter your links and either upload the single database file and build on the server or build on your own machine zip up any changed files and upload them to your server all in one go.
Quote Reply
I have run into this problem also. I have cerated a simple perl script that would generate #'s between 2 given poins which you could copy and paste into your spreadsheet. If anyone wants the code for the program, email me. I can also put it on the web for your convience.

------------------
Quote Reply
Tried using the Excel method. Seemed to work fine but the ID's have a gone a bit pear-shaped. When you add a new link it assigns it an empty ID but retains the details of the item that was previously at this ID.
Anyone else getting these problems?
Quote Reply
Jimz,

It'd be great if you put that on the mods page. I'm looking for something like that too and I'm sure there are others in the same boat.
Quote Reply
I think I will put the code on my server and do it off of there. I don't think many people here have perl and if they do, how easy would it be for them to copy and paste the #'s generated into the spreadsheet. Im on a mac so it is easy to copy and paste from MacPerl into AppleWorks. (Note: Apple Did not steal the name from MS. It came up with it first.)

------------------
Quote Reply
Hello, got the script up http://netoo.phiberoptix.com/links/numgen.pl . Plese tell me what you think of it. Thanks!

------------------
Quote Reply
It would be really nice if there was a way that a program (of some type) could scan a html page for link tags and save the results
as a links.db type output, then all you would maybe have to do is add what catagory they go into to and re-number them.