Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Help needed with appearance

Quote Reply
Help needed with appearance
I've got Links 2 up and running and am finalizing the appearance. Whenever I rebuild the pages, the index.html page that users see is changed. Where does the information from that page come from? How do I change the font on it? It references a links.jpg image, which functions as an image map, but I don't see that anywhere in the distribution. I've added the Yahoo interface, and the link.jpg image is not there either.

Also, one table is too far to the right, requiring scrolling to see it. If there is any way to correct that and bring it closer, I would like to do so.

Before I add any mods and complicate it further, I want to get the appearance straightenend out. I would appreciate any help.

The page can be viewed at http://diverlink.com/links/ enter index2.html to get an approximation of the desired appearance.

(I've modified the templates.html page using the admin panel, and gone through the templates.cfg file looking for the respective sections to change)

[This message has been edited by ER (edited December 20, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed with appearance In reply to
home.html is the template file you want to edit -- it controls the home (links) page, as the name implies. I believe templates.html is merely an instructional file.

Dan
Quote Reply
Thank you, that's what I needed to know. I made a few small changes and saw them incorporated.
Quote Reply
To change the layout of categories, you must edit the sub site_html_print_cat routine in the site_html_templates.pl. This has been discussed MANY times.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thank you, Eliot. That was just the right amount of information that I needed. The rest I can do or figure out.
Quote Reply
The appearance I want is coming along nicely, and I could use some help with two things. I have been unable thus far to change the font for the categories, or to widen the categories to fill their portion of the table and not be so close together.

I have been succesful at getting close by changing 600 pixels to 100% in part of one table and eliminating "no wordwrap" in one line, which brings the news section in from far right offscreen.

I believe I can manage everything else related to appearance and would appreciate some help with these two things.

A copy of the home.html page can be seen at http://diverlink.com/links/home.html

Addendum: The font issue looks like a browser specific one. I usually use Netscape and just checked with IE and the categories are in Arial, so there may be nothing that can be done about the font difference.

[This message has been edited by ER (edited December 21, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by ER (edited December 21, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Great. Glad to help.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Is this "Yahoo interface" a mods, or a template, or a series of templates, or ER's own customization?
Thanks,
Quote Reply
ER, I went to you site. I saw that in the add site menu you have additional fields. How did you do that? What file did you edit?
Please help thanks!
Quote Reply
The Yahoo template is somebody else's creation and is available in the Resource Center under Links mods. I had to correct some problems with the appearance in the home.html page. Changing the width from 80% to 100% for the columms with the categories and eliminating the no word wrap fixed two problems I had.

The additional fields were added in the links.def file and their HTML equivalents were added on the pages where they should appear (like add.html and modify.html)