Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Header/Footer Question

Quote Reply
Header/Footer Question
The script looks at whatever you have entered in the header/footer field. It first
checks to see if what you entered is a file and if it is it will insert the contents
of that file. (from the 2.0 readme.txt)
=======

1. Can these files be either html or text format?
2. Do you have to supply a "full url" in the category entries or since my script path is already specified in the links.cfg (as $db_script_path . "/header" Wink can I just enter /header.html, in the category field?
3. If you leave any of these field blank while entering a "category" or a "link" in the database, can you enter them at a later time? If so, how?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Header/Footer Question In reply to

Quote:
1. Can these files be either html or text format?

Yes although HTML format would probably be more useful. Instead of using file names, you could enter the code directly in the header and footer field for a category as well, as long as it doesn't exceed the field length specified in links.def.

Quote:
2. Do you have to supply a "full url" in the category entries or since my script path is already specified in the links.cfg (as $db_script_path . "/header" can I just enter /header.html, in the category field?

Only the name of the file is necessary. You do not include any path information. Links knows the path to the file from the $db_header_path and $db_footer_path settingz in links.cfg.

Quote:
3. If you leave any of these field blank while entering a "category" or a "link" in the database, can you enter them at a later time? If so, how?

You can enter them whenever you want using the Modify Category option in the admin screen. Just type in the file name of the header or footer.

I hope this answers your questions satisfactorily.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited March 10, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Bobsie,

Thank You. As always, I think you have answered my questions very well. I will give it a try.
Quote Reply
Say I want a difierent header/footer for every category. I tired making a header and footer directory in my admin directory and put the html files in the header directory and called them from the category. That I modified in the admin panel.

Thanks

Evan

[This message has been edited by computel (edited March 11, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Evan,

Fantastic! Exactly what I was thinking of trying. I am assuming it is working fine for you and you are able to call different header and footer files for each category. I will try it.

Thanks

Quote Reply
socrates,

I wish it would work that way. I have two things to do with links 2.0 one is the header & footer and making different templates for each category.

This program is great and once I get the other two things done it will be even better