Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
General
I'm wondering if I should use the ask jeeves mod or something else......like 'ignore terms' if a mod like this exists? If someone searches with general terms--IE: in, at, from, where, etc. there getting no results. Would this mod help?
Quote Reply
Re: General In reply to
Could...why not try both and see if it does what you want. I use the Block Common Words Mod and then use the Altavista Mod to redirect users to a "web search" via Altavista.

The ASK.com mod is mostly for people who are using Knowledge Base sites where asking questions is encouraged.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Yeah...I'm actually redirecting them to another search engine which I have, which will actually "filter out" these words, but I'm trying to keep them within my main links...so that's why I'm thinking ask jeeves rather than block words...you know what I mean! Is there something other than ask jeeves that will filter out words and still return results within links? I looked for one, but couldn't really find anything. I think the block terms mod will basically just do what I'm doing right now... directing them to my other search when no results are found. What do you think?
Quote Reply
If you use the Altavista script within the search.cgi file, you can keep visitors in your site...I guess you didn't figure that out when you were testing and looking at my site!

Wink

The Ask.com will only take out common words and then search for the other words in the query value.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
Actually Eliot, I know your using the altavista search....actually I talked to you about this a while ago, and after looking at your site....that's what got me interested in the alterier search function. I originally wanted to use the altavista one, but I can't because I don't have LWP, so I settled for using a different search engine which will still print the results in my page.....the only problem is I still need to maintain this other search engine, by spidering links, but it's much easier than actually manually adding the links! The reason I'm doing this is because I don't have enough links yet in my links database and I don't have the time to manually add them. Does this make sense? I'm probably taking the long route but didn't really know of any other way of doing it! Also, I have a question which doesn't have anything to do with this post, but I'll ask anyway, since your probably the only one that will respond! :-0 Ok, I've added like 5 new fields and haven't actually even used Bobsies update.pl mod. Everything seems to be fine so far, but I want to add two more fields and I'm wondering if I should use that mod even though I haven't needed to use it yet? I'm adding them to the bottom of the list, so I'm wondering if that's why? Any ideas?

BTW....from the sounds of it, it looks like the askjeeves mod will do what I want!
Quote Reply
Uh..any time that you add fields to your database, you need to add an extra delimiter and default value (if any). The fastest way to do it is use Bobsie's upgrade.pl script.

Are you saying that you added fields into your links.def without adding the delimiters to your existing database? If so, that is one of your problems.

BTW: Another solution to "keep visitors in your site" is to use the frame variation of the redirection that Bmxer wrote that I posted in the Modification Forum two days ago. You can use FrameIt (linked off of www.freecode.com) to create a top or bottom frame that links to your site, but has the search results of the the search engine in the main window.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
No...actually what I'm saying is that without using the update.pl mod the | delimators are being added by Links. So if I add two fields then run build all...there are two | | added to the end of each line automatically! Keep in mind, that they are empty and I'm having to manually go to each link and modify those new fields to reflect the new information. Sounds strange, I know, but it's happening...or maybe it's supposed to happen!
Quote Reply
Uh...if you add fields in your links.def, LINKS does not automatically add the delimiters (|) in your existing database.

You have to add them manually, by going line by line in your links.db file, or using the upgrade.pl script.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Then maybe I have a "special edition" of Links! hehehe I don't have to add the pipe | deliminator, it adds it for me.