Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Evaporated links???

Quote Reply
Evaporated links???
I am so new to this I don't even qualify for "newbie" status, my knowledge of perl extends to knowing how to spell it! Here is the deal, while doing a build all this AM, I rec'd the following error message:

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : fatal error: Illegal division by zero at /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/irealtor/cgi-bin/links/admin/nph-build.cgi line 432, chunk 216.
===========================================

Shortly thereafter approx 50% of my links vanished into cyberspace.I do see the complete link database in the admin back up.

Q1) What happened and why?
Q2) Can I, and how do I restore the links from the back up?

Please keep in mind my opening comments from above.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!
Stevo

Quote Reply
Re: Evaporated links??? In reply to
Have you made any changes to your links.def file? The problem is with calculating the Ratings of Links in your database.

Have you inadvertantly deleted the Rating field or deleted $db_ratings in the IMPORTANT field section in links.def???

Yes...you can restore from backup...just move your most recent links.db.bak file in the backup directory to the /admin/data/ directory and rename the file links.db. Changes the permissions of the new links.db file to 666 (rw-rw-rw-).

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I have restored the bulk of my missing links as per your advice. I note the links that I validated prior to my build were lost, but better that then the entire list. For the record I made no changes as per your queries below.
"Have you made any changes to your links.def file? The problem is with calculating the Ratings of Links in your database.

Have you inadvertantly deleted the Rating field or deleted $db_ratings in the IMPORTANT field section in links.def???"

Quite simply as described earlier the build I attempted returned the error message as stated earlier. A subsequent build did show as successful but approx 80 links just vanished. It would be nice to know what happened so I don't live in fear of a recurrence. Any room here for blaming the web hosting service??

Thanks again for the quick response, it is appreciated!

Stevo

Quote Reply
Further to this situation I have experienced additional difficulties this AM. Several minor builds were completed without incident but now I have rec'd the following message:

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Error building! Links database is 0 bytes!
Script Location : /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/irealtor/cgi-bin/links/admin/nph-build.cgi

This is starting to really scare me! Can anyone offer some insight to a new Links2 user on this problem? Please?

Stevo

Quote Reply
Do you have links in your links.db file?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Yes, I have links in my db file. I did some massaging and all seems fine right now so I don't have much to add on which to base comments. I have had problems the last couple of days, the builds proceed without incident and all seems just fine and then bam for no apparent reason ( to me anyway ) some or all of my links seem to disapear. I realize this is not much to go on so I do not expect you do respond at this time. I will have to see what tomrrow's activities will bring. Thank you for your help and quick response, they are very much appreciated.

Stevo

Quote Reply
How large is your links.db file? (size)

Regards,

Eliot Lee