Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Error in display

Quote Reply
Error in display
I just installed links about 2 weeks ago and am noticing and having visitors tell me that subcategories and links aren't showing up. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. And when they don't you can still see the code in the source for the subs and the links. Is this a css problem? is this the doc type in the page? I'm using the transitional/en. Please help. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Error in display In reply to
Links builds static HTML pages when you use the build function in the admin (except for search, add, modify, and the email/newsletter subscribe screen). If it only happens once in a while, you are probably having a problem with some of your builds. Perhaps trying the staggered build will help???

The only way I can see the CSS tags causing this problem is if they have somehow been moved to the same line as one of the <%if...%> or <%endif%> statements. You could double check to be sure, but if it only happens sometimes, it's not too likely to be the culprit. Otherwise, the CSS shouldn't affect page building at all (only final rendering by the browser of the fully built page).

Just FYI:
Doc type declarations don't (currently) affect page output or browser rendering--it's used by HTML validators to check for errors.
Quote Reply
Thanks for the input you told me a few things I didnt know. I will try the staggered build but why would the page not show links or categories that are plainly in the view source of the page. It shows all the code in the source and you flip back to the page and nothing. Thanks!

Just tried staggered build and it didn't do any good. the interesting thing is that it shows up in IE4 and not netscape 4.5 Other categories seem to be fine but it's getting a little big so It's hard to tell.
The url is http://bandradio.com/dir/Instruments/Guitars

[This message has been edited by mike (edited April 15, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Doh...I read your post wrong. I thought you meant the <%variable%> codes were showing instead of the cats and links, not that the page showed when viewing the page source Smile

On a side note: HOWDY NEIGHBOR! I live in Sac and saw Suspicion at the Boardwalk once (it was a while ago...maybe 96?). Small world, huh? I have a page about Sac I play around with on Geocities...I'll add a link to your band page in my "things to do" section. Check it out sometime:
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/4414/
Quote Reply
Hi Brad,

Oh man you pointing out that one anchor tag that didn't have a target. That was it. Somehow a link I put in the header section of that category was just
Code:
<a href=
and was blank. I took that out and WHAM the whole thing came up. THANKS!

What a trip that you saw us play and you live in Sac. Ill check out your page and get back with you.

Thanks again!