Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Error: No link specified!

Quote Reply
Error: No link specified!
I have a problem, in that none of the links on the new site that I am building work - they return "Error: No link specified!". The pages all build without error, and everything looks fine until I click on the links themselves. As an example, there is a link on this page:

http://www.a-to-z-of-search-engines.com/Web_site_promotion_services/Business_promotion/

or you can try this direct call to the jump script:

http://www.a-to-z-of-search-engines.com/cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID=1

Now I first noticed the problems after I accidently deleted all of the data files and had to rebuild them (yes, I know). I have rebuilt it from the backups as much as possible, but now I have run out of ideas.

I also get a similar problem when using the submission form - it always claims that the ID field cannot be left blank - but of course the user is NEVER supposed to give the ID field anyway.....

So, I think that I have broken something to do with the IDs, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Error: No link specified! In reply to
Check out the following thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ew=&sb=&vc=1

Thomas
http://www.japanreference.com
Quote Reply
Thanks - I tested the points specified; non-empty url.db and permissions. The url.db file looks fine: IDs and URls present with a new line afterwards. Permissions are set correctly. Still doesn't work.

Other symptoms that I have noticed:
I can add a site through the admin panel without trouble (although it does not automatically assign an ID number), but the success screen for this does not list any of the details - every field is blank, although the site has indeed been added.

I can't modify anything - it will find all of the records and fill in the appropriate fields for both categories and links, but when I click on the Modify button, I get a "(can't find requested record)" error. This is especially strange since it has already found the record and retrieved all of the details....

Any ideas?

Quote Reply
There seems to be a lot of people looking at this thread, but no one is suggesting a solution. Is this a stumper worth bothering tech support with?

I have tried everything that I can think of, short of starting again from scratch - but I am reluctant to do this, since it is so heavily modified....

Quote Reply
hi swisstony,

i just visited your admin panel..

when you add a new link, you have to add the next ID number manually.. strange..
something wrong with your linksid.txt, correct chmod ?

maybe that will be the reason..

ciao
nicky
here u can visit german gossamer links forum
http://forum.nicky.net
Quote Reply
I have tried setting it to 777 for all the data files, I have tried deleting them, uploading them again and so on... and it still won't work. I am going to cry soon.

Thanks anyway

Quote Reply
All data files should be set at 666. The data folder should be either 777 or 766 depending on your server configurations.

For more information, there is a FAQ in the Resources section that provides a complete list of file and folder permissions.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks. I was setting the files and folders to the maximum possible level to ensure that permissions were not the problem - and I am pretty certain that they aren't.

I am still no wiser as to what is causing this issue; it is definitely something odd with the IDs, but all the data files and permissions seem fine (and have been deleted, reloaded, remade etc in many different ways).

Quote Reply
Double check your linksid.txt file to make sure that it is not corrupted and that it is set to 666.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Tried it - still doesn't work. The categoryid.txt file seems to work ok, so I even tried renaming that to linksid.txt, but it still won't work, so I think that the problem is not with the linksid.txt file (or permissions).

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help by the way ;-)

Quote Reply
Uh...I believe you are confused...I did not ask you to look at the categoryid.txt file, ONLY the linksid.txt file.

What you should see in the LINKSID.txt (NOT CATEGORYID.txt) is the LAST record number in the links.db file. If you don't, then guess what? Your LINKSID.TXT is corrupted!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Yes, thanks, as I said - the linksid.txt is fine, so I tried using the categoryid.txt instead, to check, but it makes no difference.

I think that the linksid.txt is only used for adding new entries, is it not? So a problem with the linksid.txt file would not explain that the jump.cgi links do not work... I think.

Any ideas other than the linksid.txt?

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Yes, thanks, as I said - the linksid.txt is fine, so I tried using the categoryid.txt instead, to check, but it makes no difference.
Again, you are confused...YOU cannot simply OVERWRITE the linksid.txt file with the categoryid.txt file. The latter file is used for the categories.db and the former file is used for the links.db.

EXAMPLE

There are 250 LINKS in the LINKS.DB database file. The LINKSID.TXT file should contain 250.

There are 400 CATEGORIES in the CATEGORIES.DB file. The CATEGORYID.TXT file should contain 400.

Got it?

And NO, the linksid.txt is ALSO used in the BUILD process.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Yes, I know. I fully understand. I am not in the slightest bit confused.

I have tried *everything* for the linksid.txt file that has been suggested and much more.

*As well as that* I have tried renaming the categoryid.txt file to linksid.txt, and changing the value to what it needs to be. The purpose of this is to ensure that I have the correct format for linksid.txt. I wish I had never mentioned it now, lol.

The point is that no matter what I do with the linksid.txt file, it makes no difference. This is NOT the problem. The file is fine, the permissions are fine. It still doesn't work :-(

Quote Reply
What do your links.db and url.db files look like? There is probably something wrong with one of those files.

Quote Reply
As far as I can tell, they look fine. I can add sites without trouble, as long as I assign an ID number myself.

I think, given the lack of any easy or obvious solution, that I will just have to start again from scratch and add pieces in until it goes wrong again so that I will know where the problem is.

thanks.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
that I will just have to start again from scratch and add pieces in until it goes wrong again so that I will know where the problem is.
How about listing ALL the Modifications you've added to your Links?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
This morning I started to go through it piece by piece, and I have tracked the problem down to the links.def file.

One of the mods that I used was to add keywords to a site entry in the database. The field added was called 'Key' (not by me). However, when adding to the list of fields that visitors are allowed to search on, I had used $db_key = 14;

This was the entire cause of the problem. I presume that this variable is in fact used elsewhere. Renaming it to $db_keywords = 14; removed the problem entirely.

Thanks for all your help people ;-)