Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Entire database of newsletter subscribers were deleted!

Quote Reply
Entire database of newsletter subscribers were deleted!
I had over 300 subscribers in my newsletter database.
I typed in my newsletter, selected "debug mode" and clicked "Send Newsletter".
ALL the subscribers in the database were deleted!
How did this happen?
It was the first time I had run the script so I had no backup. Now I have to re-enter all the email addresses!
The only modification I made was to make the "Name" field unrequired because I had a list of email addresses & didn't know everyone's names.
Could this have made the script delete all the names in the database: because it was a list of email addresses and no names?
If I modified it so that the name field was hidden and had the value of "my newsletter" would that solve the problem, if that, indeed, was the problem?
PLEASE HELP!
Quote Reply
Re: [purpleglitter] Entire database of newsletter subscribers were deleted! In reply to
"Could this have made the script delete all the names in the database: because it was a list of email addresses and no names? "

Depending on the codes you changed in the subscription script, yes, that could cause the problem of deleting all your subscribers when new subscribers add their email address.

Post the codes you added/changed and may be someone will be able to help you debug this problem.

In terms of recovering the subscriber's emails, you'll have to manually enter them into the database file since you unfortunately do not have any backups.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Entire database of newsletter subscribers were deleted! In reply to
I know I have to re-enter the email addresses. I just want the script to actually work and not delete the database every time. Is it able to do over 300 email addresses?

here is the code I changed - at the beginning of sub subscribe in subscribe.cgi (I put "#" marks in front of the two lines that made the script require you enter a name. Those two "#" marks were the only changes I made.) :

my $email = $in{'email'};
# my $name = $in{'name'};
($email =~ /.+@.+\..+/) or &site_html_mailing_error ("The email address: '$email' doesn't look like a real email address.") and return;
# ($name =~ /[A-Za-z]+/) or &site_html_mailing_error ("Please enter a name as well as an email address.") and return;

Quote Reply
Re: [purpleglitter] Entire database of newsletter subscribers were deleted! In reply to
There is a script here that will pull the email address from your db file, it may save you loads of time.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie