Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Download admin.cgi pops up

Quote Reply
Download admin.cgi pops up
When i try to reach the admin.cgi a popup that says to downloadit comes up. It trys to make me download the actual admin.cgi that i uploaded to the server. I had the same exact files work on another server so i dont know what the problem is
Quote Reply
Re: [Mathew9797] Download admin.cgi pops up In reply to
1) Have you searched the forum? If you had, I'm pretty sure you would have found the answer Wink

2) Have you tried opening the file in a text editor? It should contain an error, which will help to solve the problem Links 2 is having Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Download admin.cgi pops up In reply to
I did search the forum and i didnt find the answer. The file it wants me to download is the original cgi file i uploaded to the server. Not an error file. My host allows everything.
Quote Reply
So when you open the file, you don't see an error message, just the contents of admin.cgi? You may need to rename your Perl script (i.e from .cgi to .pl). Also, some servers still require Perl scripts to be run INSIDE the cgi-bin (not sure where you have it)...

Just a few ideas Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Mine is in my /links/cgi-bin/admin directory. Ill try that renaming thing.
Quote Reply
Also, check your paths.
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] Download admin.cgi pops up In reply to
PEople dont seem to understand that im saying everything about the script is right such as paths and all that crap. Dont reply to this post anymore if you have any other stupif suggestions such as check to see you actually uploaded the files or check the paths..... They are right!
Quote Reply
You come to this forum for help and people try and help you.

Only for you to turn around and call them stupid. Looks like your on your own here buddy.

Frown
Quote Reply
Matt, if you want to act like that, I will just lock this thread, and then you won't get any help!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I was looking for replies from people who had the same problem, not people who are just guessing to waste my time.
Quote Reply
Well, people like myself, HAVE had this problem! If you co-operated, or maybe let one of us have a look, we could probably resolve your problem within 5 minutes! Coming in with an attitude like that will certainly not help you solve your problem! Unimpressed

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
The only reasons it would force you to download the code as text was:

a) if your server didn't support cgi/perl
b) if you uploaded Links2 into a directory that didn't support cgi/perl

You need to contact your host and get them to look into it, I don't see it as being a problem regarding Links2 itself, it is an issue regarding the compilation of perl scripts on your server.

Do you have any other working CGI scripts in the same directory?

Quote:
I was looking for replies from people who had the same problem, not people who are just guessing to waste my time.

Generally in order to resolve problems a certain amount of guessing has to be done, especially when there is only a small amount of information available.

The people who replied to you were all trying to help and assist and didn't deserve to be spoken to with that tone.

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 13, 2002, 9:27 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Download admin.cgi pops up In reply to
Like i said, The post was for people who have had the same problem. None of you seem to have had the problem. Why would you even take notice to the tone of my post. It is a virtual messageboard where you shouldn's care of the thoughts of those who have participated unless it has to do wtih something in real life, not a virtual affair.

Last edited by:

Mathew9797: Oct 13, 2002, 9:46 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Like i said, The post was for people who have had the same problem. None of you seem to have had the problem.

No I haven't experienced it personally but as I have been using Links2 for several years and also have quite a bit of experience with linux/windows and apache then I'm pretty sure I know what the cause and solution is (if you have described it accurately).

The fact remains, you need to contact your host.

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 13, 2002, 12:30 PM
Quote Reply
Ive been suing this links program for a few years and this never happened. My host told me to add a line of code after the perl code to fix it. The only problem now is im getting blocked by the server because of a secuity loophole in the software. I cant even view my hosts site anymore.This host is just a big mess of problems.
Quote Reply
What did your host tell you to add and what is this big loophole you refer to?
Quote Reply
I dont know what the loophole is. Heres the code i had to add.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use diagnostics;
Quote Reply
Did you try simply removing the -w debug switch (and not using the use diagnostics;?
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Download admin.cgi pops up In reply to
Thats the code i have to use to runthe script. The problem with that though is that its linked to a long file that gets bigger with every visit to the admin script.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Sorry for wasting your time buddy. I had nothing better to do and thought why not reply to some posts and make myself look stupid. It worked!

Actually, I have experienced this problem a few times, in the past. Paths was the one answer. There could be other things, but I don't want to look stupid again and so I won't tell you what other things you might want to look for.

Good Luck!

Last edited by:

socrates: Oct 13, 2002, 7:21 PM
Quote Reply
All "use diagnostics" does is spew out detailed error messages, it wouldn't fix the problem. So perhaps you should open up that file that gets bigger and read it.

If you don't know what the loophole is, then why mention it?

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 14, 2002, 5:52 AM
Quote Reply
I was just telling you what the host said.
Quote Reply
Can you ask your host then please, I am interested to know what the security hole is.