Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Don't like "New" on homepage

Quote Reply
Don't like "New" on homepage
If you've noticed on Yahoo. The first page of catagories doesn't show "New" or the number of links in each catagory after the catagory name. I think on other pages it does. This makes sense as they are constantly getting new links so "new" would be there all the time which would be kind of stupid. It kind of makes sense to have "new" after the subcategories however. Is there any way to get rid of the red "New" symbol after the category names and keep it for the sub-categories? If not, or it's not simple, then I'd like to deep-six it altogether. In the templates the categories are listed as the variable <%categories%>. Where is this defined?
Quote Reply
Re: Don't like "New" on homepage In reply to
Actually, you can have a home page without the new showing up on the categories. Here's how to do it.

1. Copy the code from sub site_html_print_cat (in either site_html.pl or site_html_templates.pl) to a new subroutine and name that new subroutine sub site_html_print_home_cat.

2. Remove the "new" code from sub site_html_print_home_cat and make any other formatting changes you would like for the category list on the home page.

3. Go into nph-build.cgi and change the call to &site_html_print_cat in sub build_home_page to &site_html_print_home_cat.

That should do it. It is how I do it to create a different category layout for my home page than I have for the category pages.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited May 25, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Don't like "New" on homepage In reply to
Categories are defined at the bottom of site_html_template.pl file (with templates). Just delete the part for adding "new". I don't think you can have it show up on subcats and not the home page--it's all or nothing.