Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Cool page not doing it's thing properly

Quote Reply
Cool page not doing it's thing properly
I have the cool links set to 15 for the top 15, but whenever I build, it's always differnet. Sometimes 17, 22, 33. It used to work ok, I haven't changed anything.
Any clues?

Derek
Quote Reply
Re: Cool page not doing it's thing properly In reply to
I have tried some things, but it is still not working properly. Can anyone help?

Ok, I just found this thread about my problem http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m11/HTML/000580.html but is there a fix for the ties? It is imperative that I only have 15 links in my list.

Derek

[This message has been edited by Predator (edited July 08, 1999).]
Quote Reply
There should be a way after the 'sort' proceedure to cut the array size to only 15 (or 14 with zero based indexing).

The *problem* is, if you will, what if there were 21 links at position 15 -- all with the same rating/hits. Isn't it unfair to the other 14 to cut them off arbitrarily?

Limiting to '15' only has problems.

Ideal would be to limit including the ties.

Psuedo code:

The cut off would be when num_links >=15 AND cool_value_of_next_link < cool_value_of_last_cool_link

This could be 15, or any number greater than 15 where the last links included have the same "value" as the link in the 15th position.

Scott
Quote Reply
I'm not too worried about it being unfair. They change so often it doesn't really matter. So as for that problem, it won't be. Just need the Top 15 links.

Derek
http://www.djmixes.com/
Quote Reply
Anybody have an answer to this?
Quote Reply
I've looked at this a couple of times, but I've been otherwise occupied.

The first thing you'd really have to do is to remove the 'category' sort first. Then just sort all the links by who's the coolest.

Once you get the coolest links, trim the size of the hash to 15 elements.

This is one routine (sort) that I haven't poked into. I might this weekend if no one else comes up with an idea sooner.

Scott