Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

ColdFusion

Quote Reply
ColdFusion
Hello everyone,

Has anyone here worked with ColdFusion (I do) I love Links but it could be programmed with CF in about 3 minutes and use SQL.

-JEX
Quote Reply
Re: ColdFusion In reply to
Offcourse Liks2.0 could NOT be prgramed in 3 minutes.

....otherwise do it, and show me the results :-)
Quote Reply
I have been using Cold Fusion for over 3 years and I was once tempted to create a Links in Cold Fusion. It is MUCH more complicated than you think, doing all of the hashing and creating individual index files rather than using stressful cgi's or cfm's. I am currently using Links together with Cold Fusion. Links creates the cfm pages and then I put in additional logic which then chooses different cf includes for different pages. It can also be used to further target ads based on the directory name.

Links and CF are 2 of my favorite software programs out there.

-Joe
Quote Reply
I have been using Cold Fusion for over 3 years and I was once tempted to create a Links in Cold Fusion. It is MUCH more complicated than you think, doing all of the hashing and creating individual index files rather than using stressful cgi's or cfm's. I am currently using Links together with Cold Fusion. Links creates the cfm pages and then I put in additional logic which then chooses different cf includes for different pages. It can also be used to further target ads based on the directory name.

Links and CF are 2 of my favorite software programs out there.

-Joe
Quote Reply
Sorry for the 3 min comment. But it could be done in Cold Fusion... For example..

Viewing links:

SELECT *
FROM Links
WHERE Category = #Category#

Random Jump:

SELECT Max(Id) AS TotalLinks
FROM Links

CFSET Max = "#TotalLinks#"

CFSET GetLink = "#RandRange(1, #TotalLinks#)"

SELECT Url
FROM Links
WHERE Id = "#GetLink#"

CFLOCATION URL="#Url#" ADDTOKEN="No"

There, It can be done, I will make the full thing if anyone wants soon.

=JEX
www.digitalstudios.net
www.jexnet.com
Quote Reply
Those SQL calls don't mean much. Links is a lot more then just a series of data access calls. Your viewing links call doesn't take into account spanning pages, sorting links, new/cool first, etc. Also, I don't use CF, but your random looks wrong, the Maximum Id doesn't neccessarily represent the total number of links in the database, and is also probably really inefficent. You want:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Links

which is usually known in the table defintion.

Sure, all of that could be moved to cold fusion, but you also need to move the page generation, validation, link checking, category management, public add/modify/search (searching is quite difficult unless you limit your descriptions to 255 characters), templates, etc.

Also, one of Links strongest features is it's customizability. You can easily add/remove fields to the database. Achieving this in SQL is quite difficult.

It's really not as easy as you portray it.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Because I was doubted, I decided to follow through with the ColdFusion version of Links. The features are: Verity searching, Popular votes, Random jump, Hit counting, Voting, Admin Panel, Username/Password login, and many perameters are held in the database (ie, store name, font face, size ect)

http://www.jexnet.com/links

Check it out,

Jex
Quote Reply
Is this going to be available for download and review?
Quote Reply
I'm not sure if I should release it free, I can give all the non-admin pages if you want. I just added a part which converts all link descriptions to "Non-caps". So if someone enters "GO HERE WE ARE THE BEST" it will come out to "Go Here We Are The Best" Also, HTML/Coding will become visiable so no one can do damage to you. I am working on making a static version, which pings the other pages, gets their return value, and builds a page with it,

Any other suggestions?

-jex
Quote Reply
I finished off most of my ColdFusion version of Links. It now Builds static HTML pages. (Except for the search, redirect, random, link addtion, and admin pages)

There are a lot of cool things you can explore in the script. the only thing I have left to do is work on the "top voted link" section.

again, the URL is http://www.jexnet.com/links

If you would like the full thing I will sell it for $300, If you just want the files-- not the database, I will mail it to you for free.

-JEX
Quote Reply
I was thinking about it, $300 is a little too much. It is not user-friendly to setup and there is no instructions.

If you are interested in the program, please email me at sales@jexnet.com

Thanks
Jex
Quote Reply
Hi Jex,

I had a quick look, and it looks promising. However, since you've decided to charge for the product, I'm going to have to close this thread. This isn't the proper place to promote a competing product, and is really in poor taste.

If you decide to release the script for free, I'd be more then happy to provide a link to the site, or allow discussions in the forum about it.

Best of luck which ever way you go.

Cheers,

Alex