Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Category Editors

Quote Reply
Category Editors
Has anyone set up links to use various editors for individual categories. I personally don't think giving the Admin password would be such a good idea, therefore additions and edits would need to be done from the user interface with the Admin validating the additions.

Anyone who has used such a system perhaps they could send their views and pitfalls.

Regards

Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Category Editors In reply to
This has been discussed MANY times in the Modification Forum. A few LINKS users have edited the LINKS scripts to allow this. However, as Widgetz stated in a Thread in the Modification Forum...he made over 300 changes to the db_utils.pl file alone.

It would not be easy to say the least. Please search the Modification Forum for Threads that relate to this issue.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
most of the changes were to make it secure Smile

i think the smartest way was to just make a whole new admin.cgi for the editors.. sorta like how links sql is done..

i didn't think of that at the time though Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
Good suggestion Widgetz...But the problem I see with creating separate admin.cgi files is knowing which categories an Editor has access to.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
It really doesn't seem feasible to make extensive rewrites to the script to accomplish this - 'fraid I'm no Perl guru and the person who does our mods has a full time job with Lucent so I don't think I could drop this little number on him :-)

Shame really recause we have a number of volunteers who want to Edit various areas of our directory and it would have been nicer to have offered limited access to them rather than using the Add / Modify routine.

Regards

Wayne
Quote Reply
eliot.. not really..

i fixed that.. i modded db_utils.pl (like i said) so that the category_list routine will only list the categories the editor has.. plus the subcategories..

i was thinking the easier way would have been..

making like a editor.cgi, db_utils_e.pl, db_e.pl and editor_html.pl

plus.. most of the mods in db.pl and db_utils.pl were

Code:
if ($admin{'level'} eq "Editor") {
# do it this way..
}
else {
#do it the regular way..
}

that made the code really long..

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited January 15, 2000).]