Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Banner Advertising with Links what would you like?

Quote Reply
Banner Advertising with Links what would you like?
Hi Gang,
This is a little off topic and I hope I don't upset anyone especailly Alex Smile, but I have something I would like to share with everyone here in the Links Forum.

Some of you might have noticed, I'm setting up a new web site and have been doing the typical customizing. When I got around to how I was going to handle banners the way I would like to use them I got a bit nervous. I would like the most power to be at the SubCategory level with cgi generated pages and templates.

Reading the posts with the use of WebAdverts as the tool, it was a little less than I was hopng for. And when I went to look a CentralAD one of my other choices. I noticed he had a new version out and raised his price to $595. It doesn't matter to me if the program is worth that price or not, I can't afford it Frown

So I did what we all do, I played the search and read game. And I found something I would like to share with all of you. Smile

I found a guy that is building a new banner program. He is determined to be the number one banner program. He seems bright, hard working as well as focused and determined on building this new banner program.

We have exchanged several emails and he has asked me to put together a list of features we would like to have in this program and he is very open to adding them.

Now, I'm not going to promise anyone anything. I can't this is to much 3rd party. But I will go as far as to get in the car and see where it is going to end up.

So, if you have features you would really like to see in a banner program, then please email me or make a post here if Alex doesn't mind and I will make a summary list and forward this list to the programmer. Please try to be as precise as possible with your ideas.

Added Comment:
As I stated before, I do not wish to upset Alex, so please don't post here until Alex pardons my intrustion into his world and forum with outside matter.

Best Regards,
Jeff

[This message has been edited by JWells (edited June 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Banner Advertising with Links what would you like? In reply to
JWells,

What I would like is a set of scripts capable of managing multiple accounts, with multiple campaigns under each account and one that can run "with or without" SSI. It should also be capable of providing statistics to the advertiser, so they can log on and definitely should not cost more than most people can afford. Why is everyone using webadverts? For the money that is the best script but lacks a lot. Why not many people are going to use cental ad? Because, no is making money on the Web, forget about paying $595. As good as that script looks, I don't know how someone will pay that much.

Just think about it. Larger accounts with enough traffic are already handled by agencies and the ads are served from their server. Smallar people can't afford it, though these are the likely candidates for installing their own scripts. Everyday, new scripts are posted at cgi-resources. Some for a price, some free - but the sad part is not many come out with far better solution than there already is. They all write something similar.

So, in essence if you want the masses to buy and use it, we want something "Kick Ass" like Links, for the price most of us can afford to pay and still eat our lunch.

Show us what you've got.
Quote Reply
Hi Socrates,
You're right on the money and I agree with you 100%. I won't tell you the words I used when I saw Central ad went from $125 to $595.

I'll pass you more info as this program the guy is building matures.

Jeff
Quote Reply
I would settle for a good readme file! Wink

Seriously, since you are here soliciting interest to a very popular topic in this forum, it would be great to have a decent readme file to incorporate for the use with this script!

BTW.. ALex, this is one awesome script! Smile Smile

------------------
-------------
hearts
-----
Quote Reply
Just so you know, I have no problems about this as long as it's disscussing merits of banner advertisements programs in general, and not turning into marketing material. I'd suggest moving it over to Perl and CGI forum though.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Guys,
I finally got webadverts to work with Links. You cannot use templates though. Use the standard code that comes with webadverts, and just use it.

------------------
Sincerely,

Netoo! Support
Netoo! Internet Services Of America.
http://www.netoo.phiberoptix.com
Quote Reply
Hey Gang,
I just got an email from Curtis, the programmer. He has a new site up. the site and program name are the same.

bannerfusion.com

This guy is knocking out code like crazy and he seems to be very open to open source code. I've talked to him about the type of problems we expericence using banners and it is my hope that some you vets make an attempt to explain it in more detail, since I'm still a newbie with Links.

If you wish you could find a program with a certain feature, ask him .. he is very open.

This my last post to the thread. It is getting very close to advertising and I don't want to let it get that far. After all this is Alex's home and support forum.

Good luck and best regards,
Jeff

Quote Reply
I'd like to add my two cents if it's okay.

I'm looking for a program in C/C++ that also has a function similar to the Java rotation capability in CentralAd. This way, a few ads can be "turnstyled" per impression. CentralAd was $159, but, right when I was about to get it, the author unleashed that $600 thing and totally dropped the $159 version.

I'm looking into a program called nAdvert. It's posted at cgi-resources, and it's written in C++, I think. Don't know if it has any more features than WebAdverts.

Thank you, Alex, for allowing this thread. It would be great to nail down a nice ad program. I'll take a look at bannerfusion.

Many thanks.