Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Background turns Red/Pink

Quote Reply
Background turns Red/Pink
I have installed and registered Links and have got this complaint from a few users. I also notice the problem myself, but only on my laptop:

After any links page loads the browser activity indicator keeps moving for a while. The instant it stops my normally white background turns red/pink.

As I said this only seems to be a problem for a few users(and my laptop) and so far they are all using Netscape.

Any ideas?

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/links
Quote Reply
Re: Background turns Red/Pink In reply to
Must be a problem with your links.css file.

Have you changed the links.css file?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
I had the same problem...I just installed Links 2.0 and adminster from my laptop using Netscape. After a minute or two, the page background color would always turn red. I had not changed the links.css file from the original install. I have stopped using the sytle sheets altogether, and the problem has dissappeared.

Quote Reply
That's right...CSS files are not universally accessible between browsers and computers.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Donald.. you CSS is still linked to "localhost" and the guy who owns localhost.com has a PINK /RED setup..

so when you pages load it pulls the CSS from his server..:)

Quote Reply
NO WONDER! hahaha

happens in links sql too.. hehe

Jerry Su
email@jerrysu.com
http://www.jerrysu.com/
Quote Reply
Out of curiosity, if Netscape and IE are not compliant in dealing with css, why are they so heavily implimented in Links (or the web developing community in general)? Does anyone actually use them?

I would think that you would have to check for the browser type first, then have 2 different style sheets, one for each browser? What about Opera or other browser types? How do people deal with these issues?

(sorry, somewhat off topic / on a tangent)

-Ross

Quote Reply
They are not "user-friendly", but in terms of web design...they make things easier since you only have to change the .css file rather than globally making changes in each of your web pages. I use font and table variables as global variables in LINKS...which helps with maintaining look and feel of the LINKS pages.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I'm experiencing this too on a newly installed script when viewed through Netscape 4.7 for Mac. The stylesheet is linked to my own site, so it appears to be a Netscape CSS background bug, and lord knows there's lots of those, but this is one I've never encountered before. Very odd. If there's any style sheet experts reading this who are familiar with specific brower CSS bugs who can identify what specifically is causing it, it would be great!

Quote Reply
The problem is with the localhost as Widgetz as already talked about in this forum.

Simple solution...delete the CSS and use more global variables!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
But, but, but... my pages *aren't* linked to local host - at least not in the page header. It's: <link rel=stylesheet href="http://www.(mysite).com/links/links.css" type="text/css">
Is there *somewhere else* in the perl I need to delete "local host"?
I checked localhost.com. There's no style sheet there to pull. The pages are grey.

Also: here's an unrelated question. Why doesn't Gossamer Link host some of the mods for download themselves. Many of the links are dead. Very frustrating!

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Quote Reply
But..but..but what???

I guess you don't understand the Replies posted so far...Look in your links.css file!

You will see localhost in the following object configuration:

Code:

background: #FFFFFF url("http://localhost/links/pages/background.gif") repeat-y;

You need to change the URL to your background.gif image that you are using in your LINKS generated pages.

In Reply To:
Also: here's an unrelated question. Why doesn't Gossamer Link host some of the mods for download themselves. Many of the links are dead. Very frustrating!
Yes...definitely unrelated issue with this forum or any LINKS forum...I have already posted this problem in the General Discussion Forum, which is where you should post information like this.

Regards,

Eliot Lee