Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Auto submit SPAM issues

Quote Reply
Auto submit SPAM issues
Hello all! I am having problems w/ submit sites spamming my add.cgi script with auto submissions. I searched the forum and added these mods:

I changed the regular add.cgi scipt name to add-a-site.cgi

I added the "password required" mod

I added the "nasty add.cgi" script

But now my Raq is getting SYN flood messages and the server is crashing. Any help?

And does anyone know how to go about finding out which company has added me to their submission list? My "nasty add.cgi" messages aren't listing IP addresses...

Thank you!

~Gertie http://duchovny.net

Quote Reply
Re: [gertiebeth] Auto submit SPAM issues In reply to
Hi,

You can prevent autosubmission by using @db_referer in the file links.cfg

Cheers,

Beck
Quote Reply
Re: [Beck] Auto submit SPAM issues In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi,

You can prevent autosubmission by using @db_referer in the file links.cfg

Cheers,

Beck
Thanks Beck, but I've tried this too. When submitting from another domain, the request produces a CGI error and, again, floods my database...
Quote Reply
Re: [gertiebeth] Auto submit SPAM issues In reply to
What do you mean with "floods your database"? Do you have auto-submitted entries in your validate.db?

Search the forum for the Add Confirm Mod and for Paul's Random Pass codes, these should deal with most of the auto-submitters.
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Auto submit SPAM issues In reply to
In Reply To:
What do you mean with "floods your database"? Do you have auto-submitted entries in your validate.db?

Search the forum for the Add Confirm Mod and for Paul's Random Pass codes, these should deal with most of the auto-submitters.
~GertieBeth
http://celebrity-exchange.com
Quote Reply
working on same problem In reply to
If you ask how to find out who spams you:

What i do is take the submission info of all those that came in via Autosubmissions

(how do i know which ones are and aren't?Simple, i have a backup just for the submissions. The regular add.html template redirects manual submitters to the backup so i know those are the real ones and those still flooding into my official ones have been submitted via a hacker program)

have a prepared email ready and bulk that email out to inform all the users of this program or website that they will not get listet because they have used an illegal hackers program and that i would like to know what they used!

In all the cases i have gotten replies from unassuming users telling me what they have used and then i can address those Autosubmission hackers directly.

If it is a North-American one they usually excuse themselfs and stop as they know there could be legal consequences, with russian or european it is more difficult.

The "referrer" thing?

I use it always, but it does NOT prevent them from hacking in, no idea why not.

But one thing is for sure, this is the weak spot of Links2 and somehow it seems hard for those cgiu wizzes to find something "foolproof" and i am no wizzy at all.

Should you know of a good mod please let me know

Rud
Quote Reply
Re: [useroo] working on same problem In reply to
In Reply To:
Should you know of a good mod please let me know

I don't know how to make it any clearer... Smile

Taken from above:

"Search the forum for the Add Confirm Mod and for Paul's Random Pass codes, these should deal with most of the auto-submitters."
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] working on same problem In reply to
Like I already told him/her before in a duplicate Thread in the Customization Forum....
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] working on same problem In reply to
Hi,
I had the same prob, so I used add.cgi in steps.
http://www.ask-sherlock.co.uk
This seemed to solve the prob, fingers crossed, been working fine for the last year or so.
Norv