Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Anyone using Links at Communitech, it's against their policies! (On virtual server)

Quote Reply
Anyone using Links at Communitech, it's against their policies! (On virtual server)
Does anyone have any version of links on a virtual server at www.communitech.net/ ?

I thought of using their services until they said I could not use the Gossamer-Threads Links program on their virtual hosting package.

"CommuniTech.Net forbids the use of the Gossamer Links program by any client."
www.communitech.net/about/policy.cgi

Just informing everybody!

They do however allow it on a dedicated server.

[This message has been edited by wesley (edited October 09, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Links at Communitech, it's against their policies! (On virtual server) In reply to
n/m

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited September 29, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Links at Communitech, it's against their policies! (On virtual server) In reply to
I tried installing Links 2 on communitech, as soon as I ran the Build they shut all my cgi down and asked me to remove it, heres the mail I recieved.

Also: does anyone know a good fast reliable host I could use links 2 on? It currently has 20,000 links is that to many Smile

> This e-mail is to inform you of a problem with a particular program that
> you are running on your account with us. The program is called
"nph-build.cgi" and is being
> run under your login, blahblah.
>
> The program nph-build.cgi was taking up 29.64% of
> the CPU and 19 MB of RAM on 09/28/99
> Central
> Standard Time. This consumption percentage of the
> CPU and memory consumption is exceedingly
> disproportional compared to the clients who also
> have an account on the Neptune webserver.

blah blah

[This message has been edited by porkleg (edited September 28, 1999).]
Quote Reply
http://www.virtualis.com/ doesn't care if you use Links 2.0 Pork Leg if you need a new host Wink

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost, or find a new one at www.webhostarea.com

[This message has been edited by Michael_Bray (edited September 28, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I've already talked with people from CT regarding my site(s) using Links 2, and they have no problem with it just as long as it doesn't hog any resources (which it currently does not).

And if it ever does become a problem, I'm going to switch over to a dedicated server.

------------------
Quote Reply
http://www.cihost.com

$27/month for domain hosting with 500mb space, 25 pop3's, anon ftp, unlimited aliasing, and unlimited bandwidth, and a ton of other shit that I can't remember right now.

Only bad thing I have to say about them is that thier billing department just plain sucks. I've switched over to paying by check because I'd have to call them every month and tell them they triple charged my card (heh).
Quote Reply
I'm at Amerihost (http://www.amerihost.net) and apart from running Links2 there i'm also running a banner exchange with allmost 500 members (Webadverts) and many other scripts, total of well over 500,000 hits (the banner exchange ran 115910 hits last month) monthly and they never complained to me about this.
Hosting starts at USD 19,95/mo.

Have been with them for allmost 2 yrs.

But.. even at Hypermart (free hosting!) i've never had any complaints -- i am using Links1.1 there.

Rudy
http://www.christpages.net
Quote Reply
hehe.. did you guys ever think about it this way..

Links2.. => Flat File Database..

Flat File Database => Ok (when small)
Flat File Database => Bad (when big)
Flat File Database => Don't work (when big)

Don't Work => No Site
No Site => No Business
No Business => No Money
No Money => ... well it goes on..

Links 2 was great software.. but some of us started "getting over" the limit and then Links SQL came out..

I don't blame any host for banning anyone from using Links 2 (it's just a big time CPU killer).. the same goes for Webadverts.. hypermart killed my account for that once.. Wink

jerry
Quote Reply
Communitech would not be my choice for a vitural web host. They're much too anal retentive about their rules, and they sure do mislead people in what they advertise. For instance, I emailed them a few months ago questioning their Unlimited Bandwidth policy, and they responded back saying traffic must be within reason. Web site's full of images or software available for download would exceed their "within reason" statement. Bandwidth fees don't come cheap and NO web host will unconditionally promise that they'll eat the bandwidth fees. There's always a catch!
Quote Reply
I was thinking about the usage issue and thought that the jump.cgi might cause a problem if the Links site was spidered by a search engine.

Normally a search engine spider will not spider a link to an off site URL. But since all the links are to the local jump.cgi the spiders will try to follow them, running up your host's processing time.

This might be something to keep in mind. You might want to install a robots.txt file and robots nofollow meta tags to help alleviate this potential problem?

Dan O.
Quote Reply
Yes, but most search engines have a built in system to NOT spider urls that end in cgi so that they can't get caught in an infinite loop. Don't ask me where I read that, just did. Makes perfect sence to me.
Quote Reply
yep.. my spider is programmed to not accept .cgi files with a ? after it... to avoid those problems.. except i still have to parse out goto.com sites.. TOOO MANY! Smile

i also delete all sites that do not reside on the same domain as the url... so if i get like

http://something.cjb.net

since cjb forwards.. i delete that site.. and add the site that it forwards to

jerry