Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Amending templates

Quote Reply
Amending templates
Hi, this is my first post so be nice! Anyway I succesfully installed my links directory, however, I cant find where i can edit index.shtml file under "edit templates"

I found a file called home.html which seems the same but obviously that one is found within the cgi-bin not the site.

I therefore editeded index.shtml using notepad and uploaded it but next time i did a build it went over what I had!! Can anyone help?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [omeakings] Amending templates In reply to
Your "home" page, whatever it happens to be called is built from the home.html template (if you're using templates).

Therefore, if you want to make permanent changes to the way your home page looks you need to edit the home.html template.

This is explained in the help section of the admin panel, as well as what special tags you may use. You can even edit your templates from the admin panel, instead of doing it offline.
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] Amending templates In reply to
Thanks for your help, where can I find the help page you are referring to?!
Quote Reply
Go to the admin panel.
Click on edit templates.
Select home.html
Press the "Edit" button.
Follow the link that says "Template Help and Codes you can use!"

It's easier if you open that last link in a new browser window.

If you're using Internet Explorer in Windoze, that means holding down the shift key when you press the left mouse button.

With other browsers, the option usually comes up by clicking the right mouse button and selecting it from a menu that pops up.
Quote Reply
An index.html is created for each directory; a directory is created for each category. So, you need to edit category.html.

Did you set the option in links.def to build shtml extensions, instead of .html? The templates are in the cgi-bin, and are used to build static pages in the non-cgi part of your site (also defined in links.def). (Well, some of the templates are used on-the-fly in the cgi-bin, eg: search, add, etc.)

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie