Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Adding Categories

Quote Reply
Adding Categories
Is there a limit on the number of categories you can add? The administrator area lets me add categories, but when I tried to add my 14th category, the home page wouldnt show it.
It will only show 13

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Adding Categories In reply to
There is not limit (in theory) to the number of categories or links you can have in Links. If your home page is only showing part of them, then something else is wrong. I have over 80 categories and 1300 links.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited June 05, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks Bobsie..Where would I find the problem? Ive looked at the templates but Im not sure where to look. In the admin, I show 14 categories, but after building it will only show 13
Quote Reply
Hey Bobsie,

I think I found the problem. Does the Links program have trouble reading a /

I scanned over everything I could, and the only thing different about that category was that it had a / in the title. I am assuming this was the problem.
Quote Reply
That could be the problem. If, for example, you created a Computer/Programz category, you would already have to have a Computer category. You cannot create categories that contain a "/" otherwise because the directory names that will hold the index.html file for the category is based on the category name. So, for this example, Links would try to create a sub-directory called Programs in the Computer directory, but would fail because no Computer directory exists since there was no Computer category.

I hope this is clear.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited June 05, 1999).]
Quote Reply
It is very clear thank you. After looking everything over, that was the only thing that I could think of that was causing the problem.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
There is no limit. Bobsie is right about that. I have over 300 Categories/Sub-Categories.

You can use the underscore characters for the main categories (as well as sub-categories).

For example...

Computer_Programs

Then if you want to add sub-categories with spaces below this category, make sure that you use the underscore character.

For example...

Computer_Programs/Auto_Cad

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology