Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Ad-Banners in Links 2.0

Quote Reply
Ad-Banners in Links 2.0
Hi!

I wanted to know if it is possible to have some advertising banners in the category-sites. If I edit the category-template, the ads will be shown on all category sites. Is it possible to show banners only on certain subcategory sites? Thank you very much.

P.S.: sometimes when I edit my database the error "next hop connection failed" appears? Then the database is set to 0 KB. What's the matter? Is my database to big? (about 9.500 Links and about 2,5 MB). If I edit the database offline and build the site, everything is ok.

Quote Reply
Re: Ad-Banners in Links 2.0 In reply to
Yes...your database is too big. Links 2.0 can only handle 5,000 links and most flat file systems can only handle up to 1.0 MGs of data. This problem is compounded if you are on a shared server.

Suggestion: Upgrade your Links site to Links SQL.

With regards to your banner question...use WebAdverts and to target your banners search the Links 2.0 Customization Forum for WebAdverts target banners and also read the WebAdverts FAQs and Modifications in the Resource Center.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thank you, I'll try it.

Although my database is quite big, it works really good. In 99% the online-administration works, just sometimes the error "next hop connection failed" appears. Even the search is quite fast. But in the next time I want to change to LinksSQL.

Quote Reply
Welp, if you continue using Links 2.0 and you plan on increasing the number of links, be prepared for a lot of errors and frustration.

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
OK, you convinced me, I'll change to LinksSQL. But at the time my hosting server is down "Next hop connection failed", for that I have to wait until this is done. After that, I purchase Links SQL. And hope that I can manage installation.