Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

1 link multiple catagories?

Quote Reply
1 link multiple catagories?
I tried searching this but found nothing. (perhaps never searched the right keywords?)

Anyway, how can you have 1 listing and have it in multiple catagories?

For example:

XYZ Hotel/motel in Bedrock, Florida is listed in the "Tourism/Lodging" catagory. I would also like to list it under "Communities/Bedrock" however I would only like to have 1 listing in the links.db file?

Is this possible with Links 2.0 (Flat file not SQL)

Quote Reply
Re: 1 link multiple catagories? In reply to
*sigh*

It is located here:

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/links-mods/

Using the following search criteria:

Keywords: Loopy AltCategories
Forum: Links 2.0 Customization Forum
Search Option: And
Days: in past year

I found relevant Threads with the link to the Mod in about 10 seconds.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks! I would never in a million years have thought of looking for "Loopy AltCategories" as keywords for this topic!

Quote Reply
Well...I just gave advice on these search terms YESTERDAY in the following Thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...w=collapsed&sb=5

in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Figures:-) Anyway it worked like a charm!

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Good...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I also installed this mod - it was great! HOWEVER I had an existing database when I installed the mod. Since the Mod places another field into the database, you need to upgrade your DB by adding an extra field into all your existing links.

Here is how I did it (I am sure there are easier ways but this worked) I loaded up my links.db file into Excel using the pipe | as my delimiter. I then added the extra column that I needed (after catagory - before description), and saved the file as a TAB delimited text file. (I could not find how to get Excel to export using | as the delimiter.)

Next I loaded up my text editor (my choice is NoteTab) and did a search and replace on tabs and replaced them with |
(In NoteTab you select tab in the search option as ^T)

I uploaded my Links.db file back to the server, I ran the chg_id.pl script (A very nice little script for renumbering the links.db and linksid.txt files) and then ran nph-build.cgi

Presto - everything was working as it should, and my name no longer showed up as the description for all my links:-)

Quote Reply
There is a WAY easier method of doing this...look in the FAQ about adding fields to existing links.db and links.def files. There is a script in that Thread that automatically adds the delimiter and default value of the new field in the existing links.db file.

Also, you can use a off-line spreadsheet/database program, like Excel and Access that you can use to add in new fields. Then export the file as a tab delimited file, then save the file as a text file. Then rename the file to links.db.

Also, there are other Text Editors WAY better than Note Pad....

http://www.textpad.com
http://www.editplus.com

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry Eliot - but my solution took me 3 minutes - by the time I read that long thread, altered the code, checked the bugs.... too long... my solution worked and was fast. After all it is only a text file.

In Reply To:
Also, there are other Text Editors WAY better than Note Pad....
This is not the place to dicuss this I do believe. I only said is was MY favorite...

Quote Reply
Well...if you have 1,000's of Links, it will take longer than 3 minutes to edit it manually...and the upgrade script if installed properly will take you less than 10 seconds to update the database, and you do not have to FTP the files back to your server. All you have to do is rename links2.db to links.db.

In Reply To:
This is not the place to dicuss this I do believe. I only said is was MY favorite...
And the reason I linked the other text editors is that if you have let's say 2,400 links like my links.db, Notepad and WordPad won't cut the mustard in terms of editing it. The other editors I listed handle up to 32 MGS of data versus WordPad, which can only handle about 1.5 MGS and NotePad, which can only handle up to 50,000 bytes.

Also, these other editors allow you to compare copies of files to see what changes have been made to verify your edits.

Wink

So, I felt it was VERY APPROPRIATE to provide the suggestions I gave in my earlier posting.

Tongue

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Notepad did just fine on 1.3 meg database file

Either way I don't want to argue about it - It worked just fine.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Notepad did just fine on 1.3 meg database file
If you configure the clipboard to handle that amount. But by default, it will only handle 50,000 bytes.

In Reply To:
Either way I don't want to argue about it - It worked just fine
Really? Sure seems like you want to argue about it. Mad

Regards,

Eliot Lee