Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

1000 categories! Is it possible?

Quote Reply
1000 categories! Is it possible?
Would it be possible to create 1000 categories with links 2 without any side effects?

I am also curious to know how many gategories people out there have. Let me know.

Simon
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 categories! Is it possible? In reply to
That sounds like you are moving up to the Links SQL area, if each category had 5-10 links.....
Quote Reply
OK, so it doesn't matter how many categories there are, just the number of links?

I could have 1000 categories, but as long as I don't have more than 10, 000 links?

Simon
Quote Reply
What pugdog was trying to say is, if you have 5-10 links per category and you have 1000 categories, you are going to have 5000 to 10000 links. While Links can handle an unlimited number of categories and links, there comes a point where it is going to become very inefficient because of server resource limitations and speed (in terms of building and searching) using the flat-file database that Links uses. A site that big will be a good candidate for Links-SQL, which is designed for larger databases without sacrificing speed.
Quote Reply
Thanks for all your help.
Quote Reply
For what it's worth, I use links2 ...
* Pages Directory takes up 32 meg in the link pages.
* links.db shows 29,841 link records (1-29,841 with no missing records) and takes up about 11 meg.
* Pages Directory contains 5,378 files, 2994 folders (Category.db has full 2989 cats and subcats).
* Takes about 10 minutes to do its build (on my win/98 with apache).

Hope this helps.
Tim Ryan
Quote Reply
What kind of activity do you get? And what sort of CPU load do you have?

Part of what LinkSQL will do is increase performance on high-access sites, especially in the area of searches and 'jumps' to record numbers.

That's a pretty good build time for that size database, but still, that's only half the story.