Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Solve this puzzle and you are a Genius!!!

Quote Reply
Solve this puzzle and you are a Genius!!!
Can the power of Links help me do this?

I do not want the Links1,2,3 (Main Companies) as "categories or subcategories". Under Each main company there are several "Agents" with their Web sites and when I list them I would list them as a normal link with (rate this link) next to each.

So here is how it will be:

There are several Caterogies and subcategories. Under each subcategory will be several "Comapnies" and under each companies will be "Agents".

What do you think?
------------------------------|-----------------------------------------| AGENT1
------------------------------|--Link1(MAIN COMPANY)--| AGENT2
------------------------------|-----------------------------------------| AGENT3
------------------------------|-----------------------------------------| AGENT1
CAT1----| SUBCAT1|--Link2(MAIN COMPANY)--| AGENT2
------------------------------|-----------------------------------------| AGENT3
------------------------------|--Link3(MAIN COMPANY)--| AGENT2
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------|--Link1(MAIN COMPANY)--| AGENT2
CAT2----| SUBCAT1|--Link2(MAIN COMPANY)--| AGENT2
------------------------------|--Link3(MAIN COMPANY)--| AGENT2

Thanks

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited June 30, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited June 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Solve this puzzle and you are a Genius!!! In reply to
Isnm't that the way Links works nomally. What are you trying to archieve? (sorry about grumpiness and spelling, i just had a long day at work with a buch of little kids)

Jimz

------------------
Sincerely,

Netoo! Support
Netoo! Internet Services Of America.
http://www.netoo.phiberoptix.com
Quote Reply
OK, Here again
====
I do not want the Links1,2,3 (Main Companies) as "categories or subcategories".
====
That will create too many categories.

I will have "Companies" which will display as link (not as a subcategory) and under each company there are several "Agents".

As I know and see it so far, the only way I can do this is by having each company as a "subcategory" and like I said if I do that I will have too many subcategories.

Here is an example:

Category : Health-Fitness
Subcategory : Nutrition
Company : Health-Fitness/Nutrition/Company1
Agents : Health-Fitness/Nutrition/Company/Agent1

However, see in this scenario the "Company" still has to be a subcategory. I want the description, rate this link under both "Company" and "Agent". It would be nice to have the corresponding agents under a particular company rather than listing them all together.

The other option would be to list the "company" seperately under subcategories and create another subcategory to list the agents and let the users search. It is a bit complicated. But I thought it doesn't hurt to ask.
Quote Reply
hi.. i'm not a genius Smile

BUT

can't you make a field for the Agents in the links.def file? is their a maximum amount of agents?

or something similiar...

no geniuses here.. sorry.. lol
Quote Reply
Widgetz,

I don't know what I can achieve by defining a field in links.def. I still need to list all the agents under a company.

Let me try here again.

Say, I will have 20 categories and another 20 subcategories. Now, the question is if I have 500 companies (which will be distributed in these subcategories) each with 3 agents, is there a possibility to list corresponding agents under each comapny, without having to create 500 subcategories under those 20+20 categories.

So, I will have company1 followed by its corresponding 3 agents listed on a page when I click on a subcategory.

=======
no geniuses here..
=======
It worked, and I got your attention. Yes, you are a genius. You just don't know it yet. You made that nice little mod for subcategories. Now, figure this one out and it will be official :-)
Quote Reply
If it were me, which I feel fortunate that is not Smile , I might try it this way. I know it may sound strange, but hear me out.

Make Category-->Companies
And Subcat----->Companies/Agents
Enter data. Find inner peace.

Make Category-->Field (Health & Nutrition, whatever)
Make Subcat---->Nutrition

Now the "trick". Enter the Companies that serve this market and enter the URL as the Links page that lists their agents. (ex: http://allthisproducts.com/links/Companies/abc/index.html)

This would save you one step and would make the agent lists re-usable. (Of course, I'm making an assumption that the agents of the company are product independent, which may not be true.)

Hope this helps.

------------------
Kevin D
www.greeknet.net
webmaster@greeknet.net

Quote Reply
hmm..

are there ever more or less than 3 agents?

do the agents get their own detailed page?

answer those question and i can probably think of something up..
Quote Reply
Thanks guys for replying.

Kevin,

======
Make Category-->Companies
And Subcat----->Companies/Agents
======
I will still have to create 500 categories for 500 companies, which I am trying to avoid.

What I planned so far is this, which is far away from what I would have liked.

1. Create a category for All Companies.
2. Create a category for All Agents.
3. List companies and agents in these two categories.
4. Now, create several other categories such as Automotive, Health-Fitness and so on.
5. Now I will have to make a double entry of companies in each of these Specific Categories.
6. I am thinking of listing premium agents again in these specific categories (Cat:Health, Links:Company1 followed by Paid agent 1...), if they pay me.

I will not be able to accomplish what I wanted to do ie. List companies in their specific categories followed by their agents.

Widgetz,
=====
are there ever more or less than 3 agents?
=====
Yes, could be more or less. 3 was just as an example.

======
do the agents get their own detailed page?
======
Would be nice and would be an option though not of great importance, at this time.

The more I think about it, I think is had to do it the way I wanted it. But hey, ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Quote Reply
hmm..

who adds the agents? the company or the admin?

Quote Reply
Socrates,

There's another problem incurred when you have a large number of categories... the cgi-generated admin forms will have HUGE drop-downs embedded in them, making the form 30 or 40 K. That's tolerable for the initial input, but overloads functions like validation that bring up 10 forms at a time. (You'll have to change that.)

Bob
Quote Reply
Widgetz,

=====
who adds the agents? the company or the admin?
=====
It will be normal, for most listings agent can submit the info by filling the "add your site" form, and I as admin can evaluate and build links.

OR if I know the agents info I can enter the info from admin.

bjordan,

Yeah, I agree with you

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited July 10, 1999).]
Quote Reply
well..

that would mean you would have to make a whole nother datbase..

you would have to modify admin.cgi, admin_html.pl, nph_build.cgi, (probably db_utils.pl), and make agents.db

it would be a mod that would take forever Smile but it would look and work so good when it is done.. Smile

you would also probably have to make a agents.def with the same fields as links.def (unless companies and agents have totally different things in them).. and change the $db_file_name to point to agents.db

you probably don't get it.. but i think it could be done..

[modified starts here]

oh yea.. and on site_html.pl under every company link you would have to make something that says "Add Agent" or something and modify add.cgi so that it can read like this:

blah.com/blah/add.cgi?ID=COMP#&DB=agents

or something

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited July 11, 1999).]