Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

compare.cgi???

Quote Reply
compare.cgi???
Hi,

I want to create a script to compare 2 links, side by side. I'm sure it isn't too complicated, all it does is take the information from 2 links and put them side by side.

I searched the Resource Center and the forum and have not found even the smallest talk of something like it.

Does anybody else know of a similar existing script?

If not, who would be a good person to contact in regards to creating this script(with a fair price!)?

I know there is a list of programmers in the resource center, but I figure a recomendation would be better.

Thanks!!
Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: compare.cgi??? In reply to
this is actually a good idea, i may look into this

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell

Quote Reply
Yeah, any ideas?

I am sure if it was developed it would be quite popular.
Quote Reply
I started to look into creating this with MyLinks as the basis for selecting what to compare (your thread search should have turned this up because I definately mentioned it on the forum)... unfortunately, other projects arose which took priority.

------------------
The Immuatable Order of Modding
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1. Read the FAQ, 2. Search the board, 2a. Search the board again, 3. ask the question, 4. back-up, 5. experiment, 6. rephrase question (or better yet, post solution to original question)

[This message has been edited by oldmoney (edited April 08, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Did you get started on anything past ideas?

If you did we might be able to work off that.
Quote Reply
I am not willing to release half written code, and so did not get far enough. I would suggest however that MyLinks is a good basis for beginning this project...

------------------
The Immuatable Order of Modding
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1. Read the FAQ, 2. Search the board, 2a. Search the board again, 3. ask the question, 4. back-up, 5. experiment, 6. rephrase question (or better yet, post solution to original question)

Quote Reply
istudios,
would you want the stuff saved in a cookie for a visitor, or would you just want someone to put in 2 urls and click compare?

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell

Quote Reply
I figure something like that could eventually be added onto the mod, but for now I was just looking to get the basic mod completed then we can improvise on it.

What do you think?
Quote Reply
I couldn't do anything, but maybe soon. I'm about to release my links spider mod. But for the compare mod, i think detail.cgi could be used, but it will be modified to take the second url and get its description too.

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell

Quote Reply
Yeah, using detail.cgi might work.

The only problem I see is that you can't just use basic tags like "Title", etc.

There would have to be "Title" and "Title2" since there is two links
Quote Reply
Or rather than using a separate .cgi script, you could consider editing the search.cgi script to have a "compare view" of records. Then you could allow users to choose which format they would like to see, like "single records" or "dual compare mode".

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.