Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

backup directory problems

Quote Reply
backup directory problems
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but I just recently went to clean up my backup directory and noticed that it was no longer there? I figured that it was somehow deleted, so I proceded to create a new directory, but unfortunately I wasn't able to---- the message was that the directory currently exists. I asked my provider to check, and as root, they could not see it either-- I think they telneted in and did see the directory. Has anyone experienced this before? It's not an immediate problem because there aren't too many files there right now, but I'm sure it will build up in the future......
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Quote Reply
Re: backup directory problems In reply to
Yes...and you cannot create a directory with the same name. You have to first remove or delete the original backup directory, and then create a new one.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Oh...also, I really don't remember what files are in the backup directory.....but would it be safe to have my host delete it via telnet and then just re-create the file?

Thanks
Quote Reply
The best thing to do is save the files in another directory and then delete the directory.

You may at some point need the backups of your categories.db, links.db, and email.db files.

Wink

BTW: What is the current permission of this backup directory? Did you try changing permissions of the directory to 777 (rwxrwxrwx)?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Cool..thanks Eliot, you answered my question before I posted it! Thank you
Quote Reply
Yeah...it's 777....or at least it was? I can't even see the directory via ftp. I don't have telnet access to my account, so I guess I should I ask my host to back them up and then delete them, because I can't? Thanks
Quote Reply
oops..I mean I think it was 666---I don't remember, but what is the proper permission on that directory? I know it was working fine though.
Quote Reply
As stated in the README file, the backup directory needs to be 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Ok...thanks. I'm sure that's what it was set to.....it's been a while since I've looked at it! :-) Thanks again.
Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center