Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

What do you think of Free Classifieds

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
What do you think of Free Classifieds
Please let me know what you think of my mods to links using as a local service directory

http://www.wincamcs.com/experts/pages/

please email me

dc@wincamcs.com

many thanks

Davy C
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Free Classifieds In reply to
Looks great Smile
Quote Reply
How did you handle/do the URL fields and Email fields when they were left blank on an add and after a display in links? Is this a mod and could you point me to any other threads that might allow one to handle this situation. Do you know of any other sites using links2 as a classifieds?
Quote Reply
I think you'll find some help on that one in the resource section (links as classified)

If you mean how do you change some fields from required to optional -- all you do is change the 1 to a 0 in the column in links.def

But, this only works well on sites where URL and email are not required for operation! A links site, without a URL, wouldn't do much linking <G>

Quote Reply
looks good , one minor problem with you classified mode:
the person who submits an ad can not delete it. this is very important for classified ads
Quote Reply
Your site looks great. How did you get the ad results to appear in different cells? Thanks.
-Greg
Quote Reply
If anyone is interested in having a classified ad system for their site, I have almost customized DBMAN with the following features:

(Sorry this is not directly related to this post. I am sure some of you are offended by this response. But I thought I would share my accomplishment to assist people who are interested in installing a classified ad system on their site.)

1) Record owners can add, delete and modify their ads.
2) Auto deletion of ads after 30 days.
3) Robust search form.
4) Short and detailed view of ads.
5) Email notification of registration.
6) Encrypted Password Look-up Form.
7) Email notification to subscribers.
8) Categorical listing of ads. (Not as clean or well laid out as LINKs, but it seems to work pretty well.)
9) Inserted header and footer files.

and much more...I am currently working on sending email messages to record owners when they add, delete, and modify their records.

When I complete this and if anyone is interested, I am willing to share my files. Just email me at eliot@anthrotech.com.

A quick note about DC's Classified Ads, it is pretty decent for novice programmers. Also, having it powered by LINKS is nice because you can organize the categorical listings much easier. Also, having ads verified by the webmaster is a nice feature to avoid excessive spam postings. But, yes, having the ability to modify and delete ads on the fly is nice for employers.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Thanks, I should have remembered to check resource! Smile
On the email/url part. I want to allow classifieds to put either field in when they can and/or not. So, what I would need is to be able to have links2 check if either email/URL is blank and if so then do not make those fields hot linked.

Dah! A bulb just went on in the old brain.... Do you think using the IF-then templates mod will work for this (I already have it in place). In otherwords, if I set the fields to not required (like you say) then use an "if blank field then do not link else link" or something like that, do you think that will work? If so any idea what the link.html code will look like?

Another question? I am familiar with links2 so that is why I thought it would be best for me to use it as a classified. BUT... does anyone know of the pro's and con's of either dbman or links2 as a classified. Yes, I agree you should have delete/modify on the fly. So, can this be done with links2.? I would think it should not be to hard to do. I have seen a mod that allows you to put in password controlled modifies.

I would think we would need:
1. Password controlled modifies
2. Deletes on the fly.
3. Auto Delete based on date of entry (time frame).
4. etc.

One other problem I might run into by using DBMAN instead of links is that I am now on a project that uses/shares the links2 category files for 2 different links2 databases. One data base has Details in own categories and I am creating a second links cgi directory that holds the classifieds db. I first run a build on the classifieds links2 and that creates an adfile.htm in the save category/directory as the details index.html Then in the second run, when I do a build of the details links2.db I have designed it to pick up/include the classifieds in the same webpage as the details links page.

This should help explain some of my needs here and better show why I think I will stay on the links2 route... but I am open to any discussion on this.

PS. Personally I have no problem with your (nicely layed out) statement on dbman as a classified because I think it helps understand what works and how best.

Thanks
TimRyan

[This message has been edited by TimRyan99 (edited August 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Tim,

If what you are saying is use the
<%if variable%>
do it
<%end%>

Then it would work. IF the field is empty, the lines inside the test will be ignored.
Just make sure your templates are set up to handle links both with and without the fields (formatting, etc).

Quote Reply
PlanetSheldon,

There is an auto deletion mod available in DBMAN that will automatically delete old records after a certain number of days.

The major problem with using LINKS for classified ads is that it would take a lot of tweaking in the program to allow the same type of permissions for adding, deleting, and modifying records on the fly. Also, LINKS is dependent on "building" construct, which is not conducive to on-the-fly information. Of course, yes, you can set-up an intensive crontab job that will update the directory every hour, but I am sure that most ISPs would stop this job since it is intensive on processing. And currently, LINKS is dependent on verification of records, which DBMAN is not.

In terms of dynamic and on-the-fly data entry, DBMAN is the way to go. In terms of administration and management of the program, LINKS is better for novice programmers.

Note: I am in the process of adding some features of LINKS to my classified ads program, including a backup mod that will back-up the database file on a daily basis.
Also the mass mailing feature of LINKS will be implemented soon.

Update: I have finished the email notication to the record owner that sends an email message with further instruction and record ID when users add, delete, and modify records.

I will be working on a cleaner categorical listing in the next week...more to come.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited August 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Ok Eliot, you almost have me convinced on trying DBMAN as my classified part of my links2 Resource center. But one important question. My Classifieds and my Links2 Resource templates must share the same Category files (so I only have to update one for both). Do you think this is possible with DBMAN? I will try and find some time in my schedule to perhaps download the DBMAN and give it a look see. Also, Does DBMAN use Templates and generate the HTML pages like Links2... that I must look into also.
Thanks
TimRyan
Quote Reply
Yes, auto deletion would be nice, but as for adding and modifing I want to do that manually, to avoid people spamming, using in approprate language and things like that. My previous classified site was totally automated and it soon became more of a hassle removing junk posts than it was worth. That is why I switched to Links, now I can stop the junk posts before they make it to my site and ruin it's appearance. Total automation is not always the best solution, and as a webmaster that is in it more for the fun of it than anything else. Automation takes the fun out of it. But this is just my opinion, and sorry for staying further off topic.

Sheldon
Quote Reply
Tim,
Widget just released an expirator mod that you can set the amount of time before it marks it to be deleted(it doesn't automatically delete them). It works great, I have it installed. He has a free version of it, but you need to email him to get it.
Also as for allowing visitors to delete it's not very hard, I'm testing a mod I made for it right now. It's nothing special, cuz you still have to validate the link and delete it from the admin screen, but it gets the job done(I'll be wiling to share when I get make sure it works right).

Oh, along with that, I have a mod that allows visitors to email link owners without me having place email addresses on static pages where spammer can get ahold of them. It doesn't use the jump.cgi, so it leave that free for URL's. Again though it's nothing pretty. I'm still very new to CGI's and right now I'm making mods like the ARMY fixes vehicles...a little duct tape and a lot of hope
Quote Reply
PlanetSheldon,

I am using the Bad Name Filter Mod in DBMAN for the Classified Ads program that sends an error message to the client if the user attempts to submit a record with bad names.

TimRyan,

Hi there...As I mentioned DBMAN is less user friendly for administrators. It does not at this time include templates. Also DBMAN only has one .db file. It does not use a separate database file for categories. Categories are built in as a field in the main database file. Also, DBMAN does NOT generate static web pages.

However, the features for users are much better than LINKS. You will have to consider the ultimate advantages of using a true database driven system, such as DBMAN. LINKS is great for creating web portals and directories, but at this time is less flexible and portable to projects, such as Classified Ads.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited August 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I too am using a bad words list, but that doesn't stop everything, there are always ways around bad word list and if your not careful you can cause problems for legitmate users. Besides a bad words list won't stop multiple post and people that just want to fill your system with usless information. There's no point arguing, cuz it appears to be a matter of preferance.
Quote Reply
I am not the one instigating the argument. I am just trying to provide reasons why I am using DBMAN as requested by TimRyan. It seems to me that having to validate classifieds is NOT effective for users.
As I have stated before, LINKS is better for novice administrators and programmers who want all the nice features of LINKS. But in terms of serving users with adding, deleting, and modifying ads, LINKS ain't there yet.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Please keep discussion of DBMan in the DBMan forums or via email. This is a Links forum. Thank you.

------------------
Bob Connors, Moderator
Links Modification Forum
Moderator Email: moderator@orphanage.com
Personal Email: bobsie@orphanage.com
goodstuff.orphanage.com/

Quote Reply
Bobsie, I think that TimRyan asked a legitimate question about the validity of both LINKS and DBMAN. Since there is no "General Discussion Forum" in this site, where do you recommend that we hold these types of discussions????? If we discuss LINKS aspects over in DBMAN, then JPDeni will ask us to "leave". You are asking us to "leave" or stop talking about DBMAN here. Where are we to go to discuss the different aspects of two programs that may help solve people's problems, huh???

Sure, we could go over to the "Perl-Cgi" Forum, but the discussions would soon become akward having to say things like,"Well, I got this program that creates a portal (LINKS) yet it doesn't have some of the features as this program (DBMAN)...Does anyone know how to combine the two to create a really cool Classified Ads program?"

The current discussions in this thread may lead to a modification of LINKS that will enhance LINKS!

I am sorry, but I have tried the private email route, which was useless. So, I am publicly posting my feelings here.

Frown

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited August 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Greetings DC!

Is it possible you can tell me what to fix in the templates to remedy the description error?

Many thanks.

------------------
http://www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Quote Reply
Bobsie,

I have to agree with the 'too stringent' topics concerns.

Sure, discussing installation of UBB should be held in the CGI area if at all, but working on mods to dbMan to work with Links, or UBB to work with links, etc are really links mods.

I've seen some potentially useful threads just closed, and wondered why.

How about another forum area for Integrating Links?

That way, you can keep Links Mods to changes to links itself, and a new forum for how to modify it and/or other programs to work with links?

Would solve all problems ??? Smile
Quote Reply
Hear, Hear!!

Thanks puddog...Finally someone agrees with my response! Well, I hope that Bobsie and Alex can straighten this out. Also, may be Bobsie should consider posting a Forum Announcement, which can be posted by Forum Moderators and Administrators of UBB. This announcement could include information on types and examples of information that is ALLOWED to be posted in this forum. Also, may be another Forum Announcement could outline the different mods and associated links to Threads, so that people won't post duplicate responses. Mark, the moderator of Links Installation-UNIX, has posted an Announcement that seems to at least provide another source of information of what to expect in the Forum.

Do you know how to do this, Bobsie?? I don't think you do because if you did, you would've posted that Thread about how you were going to post comments as a "User" or "Moderator" as a Forum Announcement, which is placed at the Top of the page above the Topic Table and also people CANNOT respond to the Forum Announcement.

If you do not know how to post a Forum Announcement, then ask Alex about how to do it. You may find it to be a useful communication tool.

Back to the Classified Ads program...If someone could come up with a multiple administration mod (I think there is a rumor out there that Widgetz is working on something similar to this, but it is the context of the "Review Me" mod) and also find a way to have ads dynamically added to the database (with some filtering like bad words and IP address stamps), I think that LINKS would be a great program to apply Classified Ads.

I would be willing to even pay someone to create a multiple administration and user mod that would allow the following:

1) Various levels of permissions for administerators and data managers.

Administrators would have the following permissions:

LINKS (ADS):
a) View Links
b) Add Links
c) Delete Links
d) Validate Links
e) Check for Duplicate Links

CATEGORIES:
f) View
g) Add
h) Delete
i) Modify
j) Check Cat.

EMAILING:
k) Newsletter
l) Link/Ad Owners

BUILDING:
m) Build All
n) Staggered
o) Staggered (Auto)
p) Edit Templates

VERIFYING LINKS:
q) Quick Check
r) Detailed

Data Managers would have the following permissions:

LINKS (ADS):
a) View Links
b) Add Links
c) Delete Links
d) Validate Links
e) Check for Duplicate Links

(Note: They would not be able to access the other admin tasks.)

2) Visitors/Potential Employers can add/delete/modify their ads on-the-fly.

The many features of LINKS are nice and are very applicable to Classified Ads. Yet as I mentioned before, LINKS does not allow on-the-fly writing of data to the database file. Sorry, I am about to write an inappropriate word now...DBMAN allows this flexibility and also multiple manager capabilities. Smile

There has got to be a way to combine features of both programs to come up with a nice application for Classified Ads. But for the time being, I am going to continue working on DBMAN because I really don't see the types of features I mentioned in this post surfacing for a long time and I really need to get my Classified Ads on-line in the next few weeks.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

Quote Reply
Can someone here tell me where does this mod get this info format from. I thought it might be the category template. Nope not there.Title: test entry
Added: 7-Aug-1999
Description: ............................................................................................................................................ .............................................................
Telephone: (649) 268 8942
Web Site: http://mmmmmmmmmmm.nz

I want to get rid of the spaces between the lines and the description goes way way way to the right.

This mod is not useable until this is fixed.
Any assistance appreciated.

------------------
www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz

[This message has been edited by Ian Conza (edited August 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Greetings Eliot!

Here is the url:

http://www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz/classifieds-pages/Conferences/Auckland/

The format for the way it prints the listing is drawn from the link.html. I cannot see anything in there that makes the description go to the extreme right. The only other place I can think of is the category.html and the way it is coded - but hey I am no expert at this.

And Thank You Bobsie! With all the talk going on in here about what one can discuss etc it is starting to become confusing as to what one can ask!

Maybe there should be a Html forum - Hyperseek run one for their software and it allows others to assist in html coding where they are stuck without crossing over forum boundaries. ( Just a thought)

------------------
www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz

[This message has been edited by Ian Conza (edited August 07, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hi Eliot!

I found where the problem is ( I think). It is in the category template!

As I said I not 100% sure - have sent a email to DC some days ago - but must be away or busy.

Have to leave it for the time being and if it is a html ? I cannot ask it here either.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Ian Conza (edited August 07, 1999).]
Quote Reply
May be you could post the URL where it is located or a snippet of the codes you are using for the category.html template. We can work together to debug the file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator