Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

REVIEW.CGI

(Page 3 of 5)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: REVIEW.CGI In reply to
WOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw

I NOW WORKS :-)

This is an amazing mod - just what i needed.... thank you so much. (I think Alex will want to include it in next release :-) )

Two quick things:

1. When someone submits a mod it takes them to a very simple text page. Although using the back button is easy for us some do not even know of its existence (my mum!)
--- where can i edit the look of this page. The best thing i guess would be that brief notice, a 1/2 sec pasuse and then redirection either to ratings page for that link or to the directory where link is listed - what you think?

2. The images that are meant for the ratings - where should they be?

Thanks again :-)
Quote Reply
uh.. the templates.

review_form.html
review_error.html
review_success.html
and review.html

hehe.. for non templates..

site_html.pl .. on the bottom.. sub site_html_review_form etc..

enjoy
jerry
Quote Reply
you might want to download the files that the install.cgi modified..

jerry
Quote Reply
FYI: When I viewed with NS the text was fine. I think IE is shrinking the size one font even more making it microprint (hench, it looks lighter too). I saw this in IE5 and 4. If anyone else is having trouble reading, try NS.

Quote Reply
IE always does that for any site.
Quote Reply
Have you checked the font settings and made them normal because my site comes up neutral for both and ie and ns are at the same font.

------------------
------------------------------------------
Lavon Russell
LookHard! Search
http://www.lh.yi.org
webmaster@lh.yi.org
Quote Reply
lala..

uhh. i don't care.. i'm leaving it like that.. hehe..

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited August 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
umm.. ok... people are asking this question.. and i just want to post it here to clarify..

YOU DO NOT DOWNLOAD REVIEW.CGI...

YOU DOWNLOAD REVIEW.ZIP AND IN IT IS 3 FILES.. readme.txt, install.cgi, reset.cgi

you put INSTALL.CGI in the directory with LINKS.CFG... (OF COURSE AFTER YOU DO STEP 1!!)

install.cgi makes review.cgi, review.db, review.def, valrev.db, (if you use templates, review.html, review_form.html, review_error.html, review_success.html)

it also modifies site_html.pl or site_html_templates.pl depending on which one you use..

OK!!? Smile

however it does not modify links.cfg, nph-build.cgi, admin_html.pl and db_utils.pl! Smile this you do through the manual instructions....!!

geeez. Smile people are asking me.. WHERE IS REVIEW.CGI WHERE WHERE WHERE! Smile hehe.. maybe i should rename install.cgi to review.cgi..

jerry
Quote Reply
If you forget to upload the modified links.cfg in step 1 then you get a message saying no review.cgi

So, after step 1 upload links.cfg and then run install.cgi

OK, I have installed it successfully. Got this message
=======
Reseting Ratings and Votes
Done!
=======

BUT, But this is a new installation and I have an empty database. So, I shall further test it.

Thanks for all the hard work, that went into this and a fantastic set of instructions.

Gracias,
Over and Out

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited August 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
ok.. hehe.. i'll put that as step 1.9 Smile

Quote Reply
Hi,

I installed it. Everything seemed to go okay. install.cgi and reset.cgi showed no errors.

However, when I tried to build the pages, I got a "page cannot be displayed" error message. I got the same error message for build all, staggered, and staggered (auto).

I checked permission of nph-build, and it was set 755. Other permissions seemed to be set okay, as well.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

------------------
www.armynavy.com/

[This message has been edited by TrainedMonkey (edited August 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
is this a server error or a script error?

does it show up like a 404 or using CGIERR?

never heard of this before.
Quote Reply
Nice mod! Got it up and running on a test site with few problems.

One thought, In sub get_rating_image don't hard code the URL for the rate images.

------------------
JRM Studios www.jrmstudios.com
The Hotrodding Network www.hotrodding.net
Web discuss Free speech newsgroups - www.webdiscuss.com

Quote Reply
Looks like a server error.

"Cannot find server"

Thanks.

------------------
http://www.armynavy.com/
Quote Reply
Just a few mistakes with your install script. It produces the html code wrong for, => and <=>. I forget how it suppose to be. Anyway, I had to put that in the review.def when I upload. Next thing, review_failure.html should be review_error.html. I had some problems with that. This is all the problems I found. I should be finish installing all of it in a few mins. Smile
Quote Reply
One more thing too. The images aren't transfering from your server to mines. . . Might want to check that out too! Otherwise, everything works OK for me! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

------------------
http://www.techdevelopers.com
ASP, HTML, CGI, Flash, and more!

HPCalc.com - English
Official HP Calculator Site
http://www.hpcalc.com/english

Quote Reply
not sure what you meant about the

<= <=> thing..

but i'll do the failure one in a sec. hehe
Quote Reply
Code:
Rating => [4,'numer',10,10,1,'','^[\d\.]+$'],

I can't get it to display the problem because this ubb forum has the HTML turned on, but if you ran install and check the file, links.def and look at the part where it initializes the structure of the db, look at the => and you will see the problem.

[This message has been edited by XanthisHP (edited August 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Jerry,

Are you using the same images from "Phoenix"? or is there some place where we can get those stars?

Other than that eveything else seems to be working fine.

Thanks again.

PS I am not sure what XanthisHP is refering to - review.def seems to be fine.
Quote Reply
mine are a little different than pheonixes.. his/her (sorry :\) is rate00.gif - rate20.gif

mine is rate0.gif - rate20.gif

that's the only difference..

you can get them from pheonix and rename them..

if you use pheonix's mod.. you might want to switch over to mine..

just add this in the site_html_link part..

Code:
rate_img => &get_rating_image ($rec{'Rating'}),

nothing else.. hehe

jerry..

Quote Reply
Socrates, maybe you didn't have to hand make the review.def, but I had to because my permissions on my server wouldn't allow install.cgi to create it. If you ran install.cgi and viewed the review.def, the html code for producing =>, looks like this, =& gt;

I had to put a space in between the & and the gt because it will produce => on this UBB forum. I just noticed that the html is turned off on this forum though. Anway, this will get confusing for PERL newbies who can't get review.def installed with install.cgi. BTW, I got the images from another place, so everything works! Good job Jerry! Smile
Quote Reply
oh..hehe you were talking about the VIEW..

hehe.. i know why.. i put the code to change to & lt and & gt before the & amp; so it changed them to & amp;gt;
Quote Reply
so far it looks like non template sites have more luck.. hehe. .the first person to be able to install this was

http://www.123webmaster.com/

they've got it all down pretty good.. even before i got all those bugs out.. hehe

i would like to see a template site and see if it is working alright.. post some urls please..

jerry
Quote Reply
Jerry, I am using templates on my site.

http://www.techdevelopers.com
Quote Reply
PROBLEM:

I started to install the mod on a brand new links installation. It's my third install to create a new section on my site.

I did completed step 1 and downloaded review.zip.
Uploaded install.cgi and chmod'ed it 755
run it and....

server 500 error Frown did I miss anything....??

Looking through the script I found the line: Use LWP
Could that be the problem?? I can't use LWP on my server Frown

Anyone have any ideas, I'm willing to do the changes by hand if anyone could let me know which ones.

Jeroen

------------------
Free 4U2: a searchable directory of free stuff
http://www.free4u2.com

When something does not function properly, hit it hard.....
.....When it breaks it had to be replaced anyway.

> > > >