Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Links search results by percent??

Quote Reply
Links search results by percent??
Is there a way to set up links so that the search results are listed by how relevant there are (i.e. 76%)??
I know the larger search engines do this, and was just wondering if this was possible with links, or if it is an extremely advanced feature.

Is there a mod for this.

Thanks,

New Guy
Quote Reply
Re: Links search results by percent?? In reply to
Hmm, you're talking VERY complex stuff here... You'd need to decide on a weighting scheme for the multitude of factors (keyword count, related terms, etc...) that translates into an equation to produce your percentage.

The way that equation works is often VERY complex and frankly if you managed to write one that would provide people with the "right" answer every time then you'd be looking at a couple of billion in offers from companies and death threats from Yahoo (joke!)

Best thing to do is take a peek at various sites like Webcrawler and their help info on what processing is done on their listings to see if you can write something basic or copy it...

Hope that helps..
Smile
Martin

------------------
- - - - - -
martin@websnail.net
www.WebSNAIL.org
Quote Reply
If somebody could do that, it could be really Cool Smile Wink

THEULS

------------------
----------------------
Surfootball.ovh.org
----------------------
Quote Reply
I had already talked to Gossamer about this, cuz i was gonna make one, but they basically said they wouldn't supply code because it wouldn't be stable enough for Links 2.
Quote Reply
I have a relevancy search in my LINKS engine...yet I have noticed performace degradation with the stock LINKS search engine...I am also using grep in my search engine, which reduces perfomance degradation.

But this is a private customized Mod, which is not very easy to install...and I will not be releasing it.

Sorry.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Subject: Re: Links search results by percent??

Hello Eliot

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a relevancy search in my LINKS engine...yet I have noticed performace degradation with the stock LINKS search engine...I am also using grep in my search engine, which reduces perfomance degradation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could U just tell me which relevancy function(s) does degrad the search engine?

Thanks Laugh

Jude

PS : Don't blame me, i don't tell you the codes, I just want to know the function which degrads your search engine
Wink