Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

How can I accomplish this?

Quote Reply
How can I accomplish this?
I would like to add additional fields such as search by state and city....above and beyond the categories. I think that there would have to be an option in the add url form and admin section to add your link to the correct city and state and then probably have drop down menus in addition to the search box. Has anyone done this? I'm not quite sure where to begin.....what do you think would be the best way to go about doing this? I've already looked through the mods but didn't see anything like this. Thanks.

Domenic
Quote Reply
Re: How can I accomplish this? In reply to
similiar to category search at:

http://www.widgetz.com/links_mods/

just change it to State or City or whatever Wink

tell me if you know what to do..

jerry
Quote Reply
Sure, that's simple enough...I think! I've already added a few mods. I just wasn't too familiar with how your mod works. So, I'm assuming I just add these two feilds (state,city) to the links.def file with something like this:
State => [15, 'alpha', 0, 150, 1, '', ''],
City => [16, 'alpha', 0, 150, 1, '', ''],
then add something like this:
$db_state = 15;
$db_city = 16;
I'm not quite sure where I would specify the available cities and states though? Also do I add the #'s 15 and 16 as searchable items in the links.def? From here I'm just not sure how your mod comes in? Here's an example of what I'm thinking:

Ok, lets say I have a main category called Tickets with 3 sub-categories...movie tickets, concert tickets, game tickets. Now if someone wants to find a ticket for a concert playing in San Diego, with your mod would they be given the option to search all at of these options at the same time-------> California, San Diego and Concert tickets? Like I said, I'm just not familiar with how your mod works and what steps I need to take first.

Also, I'm not using the Category.html page, I just made my own page and am using that as the home page, but I am using .html pages for the rest of my categories.....like Tickets_movie.html is one, Tickets_game.html is another, etc. and I've specified them in the site_html_template.pl file. So would I use your non-template mod or the template mod? Also, as far as generating the drop-down boxes, can I just add those myself on each of the .html category pages that I made. Sorry if I just wrote a book and if my questions don't make sense. Thanks again! :-)
Quote Reply
Ok I think I might have just figured out how to specify the state and cities for the user to select their city and state. Instead of adding something like this
<input type="text" name="whatever" value="whatever">
would I add something like this in the add.html file?

<select name=state>
<option>alabama</option>
<option>alaska</option>
<option>arizona</option>
<option>california</option>
<option>ect.</option>
<option>etc.</option>
</select>

I this is right, but how would I get this to show up in the admin section?
Quote Reply
i don't think you even need to use my mod.. just on the search form put the 2 fields State and City.. then try it.. see if it matches the ones you need

there still needs to be a query though

jerry
Quote Reply
you just edit the db_select_fields in links.def

jerry
Quote Reply
Cool....I'll give it a try in the morning.....uhh, on second thought maybe afternoon, it's like 4:00am!! :~zzzzzzzzzzz

What does your mod do anyway?
Thanks Jerry
Quote Reply
Hi Jerry!

Really? I didn't think this mod would do what I was wanting? Maybe I was unclear, or maybe I'm not sure how your mod works. Will this allow the user (when they add their link) to select their site to be in each of these: category, city and state?.....plus all the other stuff (title, url, desc, etc.) That would be great if it did. Also, do you know of a site that is using your mod so, I can see how it looks? BTW...thank you for getting to this as fast as you did! :-)

Domenic
Quote Reply
umm.. do you know how to add fields? cause you should figure that out before you do any mods... adding state and city is just a matter of adding 2 fields.. then my mod could do the searching..

jerry