Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Got crazy, turned Links into a "Tech Article" dbase

Quote Reply
Got crazy, turned Links into a "Tech Article" dbase
hey guys,

Just wanted to pass on my latest doings.

I wanted to build a links database that pointed to only Technical articles for the Ford Mustang.

So I built it.

The way it works is I have the detailed feature turned on.

Then, when a person clicks on a particular link, the detailed page is actually a framed page.

The top page is my site name, a menu and another search bar.

The bottom frame is then the link they clicked on. This way they come back to the "Tech Finder"

Works pretty good, just wanted to poin out how much power is in LINKS 2.0. You can about do anything your imagination will ponder.

http://www.stangnet.com/finder/pages

------------------
MRaburn
Raburn Network Solutions
www.raburn.net
Quote Reply
Re: Got crazy, turned Links into a "Tech Article" dbase In reply to
Looks Good! A few minor problems, but overall it looks good.

------------------
Quote Reply
Raburn,

I have a few questions:

1. As far as I know when you have the detailed feature turned on, you are calling the detail.html template. Which means all pages will have the same look or information.

So the question is how do you make it so you facilitate different articles with corresponding images and details.

2. How do you input different content for each article (detailed)? Do you edit an html file externally and upload it in the detailed directory replacing the correspoinding file. For ex: you create an externally prepared html file replace it for say, detailed/6.html

Looking at your site, I think you have just input the frame parameters in the detailed file and the articles are actually called from an external directory/database. You are using the links as a database of urls, and the articles themselves are not actually in the databse. Am I right?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Hi, I am working on a new site similar to way he setup his technical artilces. (I am still waiting for the domain name) What I did was add an extra field in links.def like this:

Details => [14, 'alpha', '60x10', 1000000, 0, '', ''],

Then if you want people to add their own html based pages, you would open up add.html templates and put a form box label detail. For add_success.html and add_error.html, you would place <%Details%>. If you would like you only to add this, you would not edit any of the add.html pages.

Now you need to open detail.html and place the tag <%Details%> in it. That's all to it. The new form in your adminstration page should accept html tags. Remember, by placing HTML tags, your .db will get large. If you have 30 html pages with html tags of about 30k, your database size will be 900k, nearly 1 meg! That's why I am upgrading to SQL soon! You can also limit the size of html a person can place. In my case I used 1,000,000 characters. Smile

Stang Tech formatted his detail.html to be that main frame. I'm not sure as to how he did the navigation since it uses another script. Anyway, he change the tags in there to point to whatever, and put a tag in there to link to a field that he can type just the url and have it display it. That way, your database is not quite big. It would take 99.9% less space than my version of doing it. Smile

Just remember, that his way, the visitor cannot search the page for key words since the bottom frame is linked to another site and not to his database.

------------------

XanthisHP
boom.home.dhs.org
BOOM! Flash 3 Resource - When there's a Flash, there's a BOOM!

[This message has been edited by XanthisHP (edited June 13, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by XanthisHP (edited June 13, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Yes,

That is correct.

The detailed page is just a framed page.

The top frame pointing to a modified rateit.cgi file to pull the site name for navigation purposes.

The bottom frame just point to the orginal link of the article. They are not on my site.

I do not use templates (to hard to change on thing accross the whole site) I'm from the 'old school' and still use the site_html.pl file.

MIke
Quote Reply
Thanks guys for your replies. What would be really cool is to be able to create an article database and then inivite people to submit articles.

Actually, one thing I would like to see with the links deatailed files they be put in seperate directories. This way we can create an article database easily.

Anyway, appreciate your feedback.
Quote Reply
What a great modification!!

A question though.
I followed the instructions given and for some reason I can not get the deatil page to show. Detail is set to "0" and I have configured the links.def file. Now I am a little confused, or perhaps I am missing the utterly obvious. Should details be set to "1"?

Anyhow, if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank you!!

[This message has been edited by MJ (edited June 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
0 is you want the field not required to be enter by the visitors. If you put a 1, then it must be required in order for the form to be process.

As for why it is not showing, did you place a <%Detail%> tag somewhere on your site templates? I don't use site_html.pl, because it is just too hard to visualize the outcome of the site if I had to code in a text editor. Smile

A bit off the topic a little, but. . .
I was working on a new site, the name not yet release, but I have modified Links 2.0 so that users can add cgi scripts(programs), web hosts, ASP, DHTML, or FLASH resources. If it is a web host or cgi scripts, they can have the option of typing in more detail which includes HTML tags if they wanted. Once I re build the database, the resources which have the detail field filled in will show the page in detailed once the link is clicked. Others will automatically use the jump.cgi to redirect directly to the site. It's a bit hard to explain, but once you'll see it, you'll see the awesome power of Links. Because my database will contain long html coded data, I will be most likely saving up for the SQL version soon. Smile

------------------