Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Frames 4 external links and not 4 detailed pages

Quote Reply
Frames 4 external links and not 4 detailed pages
Okay, I haven't quite got this worked out script wise yet - I can't envision how it will actually have to be scripted.

What I am doing (wanting to do) is the following:

1 - Run links as an external link database but also have internal 'articles' written to detailed pages (detailed.cgi is fine)
2- Use a rate and review frame if the link goes external but not if it is internal (a detailed article)

Okay...now...

Any suggestions?

I think the rate frame system at http://vlib.anthrotech.com is what I am looking for and not the one using frameit.cgi

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas

Quote Reply
Re: Frames 4 external links and not 4 detailed pages In reply to
As I have suggested before...search this forum for frameset jump.cgi - Use And - And search only in the Links Customization Forum.

I am using codes that Widgetz provided for editing the jump.cgi script.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi, I am looking for the same mod that allows frame on the search page. But when I searched for frameset jump.cgi I could not find it in the Links Customization Forum. Could you tell me where I can get the jump.cgi modification you use? Thanks.

John Tin
FreeLook.com, Inc.
http://www.freelook.com
Quote Reply
Man...I do not know why people cannot find relevant Threads via the
search engine (even with the old UBB, I had no problem finding pertinent
Threads)...I used the same keywords I provided in this Thread and guess what
I found the pertinent Thread!!

Tongue

Go here:

Review.cgi and Jump.cgi with frameset.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...=&vc=1#Post38224

BTW: You also have to set the Days to All Posts to view all
related posts!

Found the Thread in less than a minute!

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I appreciate the help with the frames portion of my project - it is working great.

Now, for the detailed pages here is what I need:

1 - The detailed articles to go through the jump.cgi file so they can be counted as hits (I think this was covered somewhere in the forum previously - I will look for it) but the prob I see with this is it will open in the frames.

So...is there a way for the detailed pages to open without a frame, but go through jump.cgi to count hits?

2 - I need two add forms - one for submitting general links and one for submitting detailed articles. How does one go about doing this?

Additionally, the detailed add form should produce a txt file of the 'detailed' feild which can then be called into the detailed page.

I realize these are tricky topics to handle at once, if someone could direct me to the order, and how, I should tackle them, I'd appreciate it. (BTW, the detailed feild should be placed in txt file so the database remains small - searches will be done on keywords also inputted with the form)

Thanks

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
1 - The detailed articles to go through the jump.cgi file so they can be counted as hits (I think this was covered somewhere in the forum previously - I will look for it) but the prob I see with this is it will open in the frames. So...is there a way for the detailed pages to open without a frame, but go through jump.cgi to count hits?
Possibly...try changing the Location codes in jump.cgi to something like $build_detail_url/$rec{'ID'}.$build_extension.

In Reply To:
2 - I need two add forms - one for submitting general links and one for submitting detailed articles. How does one go about doing this?
You will need to make copies of the following files:

links.def => articles.def
add.cgi => addarticles.cgi
modify.cgi => modarticles.cgi
search.cgi => searcharticles.cgi

You will also have to copy the following routines in your admin_html.pl file and changes the variables in new subs to reflect your articles database:

* sub html_validate_form => sub html_validate_articles

You will also have to copy links that you have in the sub navigation routine to add, modify, delete, validate, and check dups for the articles database.

Then in your db.pl file, you will have to copy the following sub:

* sub validate_records = > sub validate_articles

NOTE: You could possibly bypass all these changes and hack the Review.cgi Mod that Widgetz wrote.

In Reply To:
Additionally, the detailed add form should produce a txt file of the 'detailed' feild which can then be called into the detailed page.
As I think I mentioned before...what you can do is create a new variable called $build_detail_extension and configure it like the following in your links.cfg file:

Code:

$build_detail_extension = ".txt";

Then in your sub build_detailed_view routine, replace all occurences of $build_extension with $build_detail_extension.

In Reply To:
I realize these are tricky topics to handle at once, if someone could direct me to the order, and how, I should tackle them, I'd appreciate it. (BTW, the detailed feild should be placed in txt file so the database remains small - searches will be done on keywords also inputted with the form)
Unfortunately, this is not possible with search.cgi, you should consider using another search engine script, like XAV INDEXER, that will search through static web pages in your site.

Then you can use the Search Redirection script at http://lookhard.hypermart.net/links-mods/ to search both your links and articles.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Okay...

here is my code for the frameset in jump.cgi
Code:
# frameset mod
# Now let's send the user to the url..
($goto) or &error ("Record not found ($in{$db_key})");
my (%rec) = &get_record ($id);
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print qq~<html>
<head><title>$rec{'Title'}</title></head>
<frameset rows="70,*">
<frame name="top" src="$build_jump_url?ID=$id&display=1" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="no">
<frame name="bottom" src="$goto" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto" frameborder="no">
</frameset>
<body>
You need a frames compatible browser
</body>
</html>~;
# frameset mod
}
What would I change (or add) for the detailed pages to NOT load in the frameset?

And second..if I understood correctly...it is NOT possible to have a keywords field associated with the detailed database?

If not, how about using the upload mod for users to upload premade txt files and then just call them into the detailed page (only they must have the file renamed to the prefix associated with the ID ie. 10.txt, or id176.txt)? This may be a better solution? Whatcha think?

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What would I change (or add) for the detailed pages to NOT load in the frameset?
RIGHT...you use the regular jump.cgi file...Sorry if that was not clear in my explanation.

In Reply To:
And second..if I understood correctly...it is NOT possible to have a keywords field associated with the detailed database?
Not the method you want to employ, which is to create a separate text file for the detailed page description...search.cgi will not search these external files.

In Reply To:
If not, how about using the upload mod for users to upload premade txt files and then just call them into the detailed page (only they must have the file renamed to the prefix associated with the ID ie. 10.txt, or id176.txt)?
Still won't search the external files.

In Reply To:
Whatcha think?
I think I have provided all the suggestions I have at this point and I wish you luck in finding a better solution since it is apparent that my suggestions were not helpful!

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eliot, I appreciate your help, you give great insight to the capabilities of the software.

We are just miscommunicating - my intent is to have one field for the detailed info which is written to a text file and then called into the detailed page...

AND have one field that is associated keywords that ARE searchable (I know the txt files cannot be searchable)

I want to run off of one database so new and pop are consistent throughout. Should be possible.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
We are just miscommunicating - my intent is to have one field for the detailed info which is written to a text file and then called into the detailed page...
Which, again, will not be searchable through search.cgi.

In Reply To:
AND have one field that is associated keywords that ARE searchable (I know the txt files cannot be searchable)
There is a Mod in the Resource Center that will allow you to do this.

In Reply To:
I want to run off of one database so new and pop are consistent throughout. Should be possible.
So, you want one database, right?

Then, what you will have to do in your add.cgi files is add hidden fields for the fields that you do not want people to add information to.

But I am sure you can figure out how to do this....

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee