Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Comments 3

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Comments 3 In reply to
Did you put the db files in the right folder?

-------
Jeremy

Quote Reply
You need to upload the register.db to the correct path that you specfied in links.cfg

Also make sure you've put comments.db, comment3id.txt and registerid.txt in the correct paths as well.

If they are in your data directory you need to specify the path to that in the paths you added at the bottom of link.cfg.

If they're correct I just noticed, something I didn't change in comments3.cgi

open comments3.cgi in a text editor. go to
sub register {
open (DB, "<register.db") or &cgierr("unable to open db file Reason: $!");

change register.db to $db_register_name

(Sorry about that I used search and replace in interdev to replace the register.db to $db_register_name looks like it didn't pick every occurence up)

Good Luck!

Glenn

http://findarom.emusanet.com/comments3/
Quote Reply
I have change register.db to $db_register_name..
and now works....
Great...you are BIG.
Thanks..
Marco

Quote Reply
Sorry glennu,
but i have a last question!!
If i click on "registered users" i have a problem

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : unable to open db file: /home/mister/misterwebby-www/cgi-bin/links/admin/data/comments.db. Reason: No such file or directory

....and when try to Re-send details......

CGI ERROR
Error Message : error in validate_records. unable to open db file: /home/mister/misterwebby-www/cgi-bin/links/admin/data/comments.db. Reason: No such file or directory

Thanks..

Quote Reply
unable to open db file: /home/mister/misterwebby-www/cgi-bin/links/admin/data/comments.db. Reason: No
such file or directory

Means either you haven't got a comments.db in your data directory or you haven't give it the correct permissions (644 or 666).

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
My comments.db is in my data dir. and i have give it the correct permission...but don't works...
please help me..

Quote Reply
Not sure what else I can suggest. In my experince that almost certainly means either the permissions for it are wrong or it doesn't exist.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
I have change register.db to $db_register_name...
in sub process_it and in sub forget...
and registered users works....
but i have problem with send mail..
When a new user resgiter don't send mail...
and when i try Re-send details..

CGI ERROR
Error Message : error in get_records. unable to open db file: register.db.
Reason: No such file or directory

Can you help me
Sorry for my bad eng..
Thanks for the reply...

Quote Reply
well, i must say, your a wicked (in the good sence) cgi programmer, but your a wicked (in the bad sence) packager and help writer :) first of all, my advice:

1) Repack the zip file to directories, putting directories like "CGI" or whatever and in the installation notes Tell us endusers What to Put Where...
2) Please use better english, i dont know what country your from, but there was a little uncertainty here and there.. (Maybe coz i'm sick, but i'll try again later :P)
3) Tidy up the installation notes, i donno :/

i tried installing it, didnt go, figured i'll try again tomorrow... so....
hope there will be a difference 2morow :)

Quote Reply
I'm sorry if you're having difficulty following the instructions. Please bear in mind that I have provided these mods for FREE, I do not have the time to write detailed instructions because I'm in my final year at uni and this takes precedence. It's a case of either I post the mods with brief instructions or I don't post them at all.

'1) Repack the zip file to directories, putting directories like "CGI" or whatever and in the installation notes Tell us endusers What to Put Where...'

As specified in my installation instructios you can put the files where ever you want as long as you change the paths in links.cfg. I'll try to be clearer when I get the chance to change the instructions.

'2) Please use better english, i dont know what country your from, but there was a little uncertainty here and there.. (Maybe coz i'm sick, but i'll try again later :P)'

Actually I'm from England. To Reiterate I'm trying to make it easy to understand but I have limited spare time to spend on it.

'3) Tidy up the installation notes, i donno :/'

When I get the time between uni, work and social life I will change the instructions.

'i tried installing it, didnt go, figured i'll try again tomorrow... so....
hope there will be a difference 2morow :)'

No because I have worked all day and I deserve a break . I am going out now.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Hi Glenn,

The functions from admin are not working. Below is an example when I tried to view comments.

CGI ERROR==========================================
Error Message : fatal error: Can't locate /home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/links/admin/cvalid.def in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/sun4-solaris /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at admin.cgi line 55.
Script Location : admin.cgiPerl Version : 5.00502Form Variables
-------------------------------------------db : cvalid
view_search : 1

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for the great Mod.

Regards,
Pagla

Quote Reply
Glenn, This is a great MOD. Thanks for all the hard work. While I know almost nothing about PERL ( well, I did break down and buy a perl book a week ago ) and only a little bit more of HTML, this was easy to install just like comments2 ( which I installed with the help of prior messages on this board ).

There are a few things that could be cleaned up, but hell, if I can work thru them, anyone can...!

THANKS....!

Gene
Quote Reply
You SUCK! (<Insert HaHa's Here>)
you own m8, i'v visited London the last summer (as well as portsmouth), absolutely Fantastic, i was even lucky enough to hear a british taxi driver say "Bloody", that was the highlight of the trip (although we did visit everything and talked to everyone :P still, that was the highlight)

Great Nation, beats other Inferior nations :) heh

Quote Reply
'CGI ERROR==========================================
Error Message : fatal error: Can't locate /home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/links/admin/cvalid.def in
@INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/sun4-solaris /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at admin.cgi line 55.
Script Location : admin.cgiPerl Version : 5.00502Form Variables
-------------------------------------------db : cvalid'

Okay just noticed what the problem is. A quick way to solve it (because I'll need to go back over some of the code). Is to copy comments.def and rename it to cvalid.def

That'll solve it.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
'I have change register.db to $db_register_name...
in sub process_it and in sub forget...
and registered users works....
but i have problem with send mail..
When a new user resgiter don't send mail...
and when i try Re-send details..

CGI ERROR
Error Message : error in get_records. unable to open db file: register.db.
Reason: No such file or directory'

Yep just change register.db to $db_register_name in sub register. Another of the paths was not renamed when I used search and replace. (I'll update the zip file on my site this weekend).

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
'Glenn, This is a great MOD. Thanks for all the hard work. While I know almost nothing about PERL ( well, I
did break down and buy a perl book a week ago ) and only a little bit more of HTML, this was easy to
install just like comments2 ( which I installed with the help of prior messages on this board ).

There are a few things that could be cleaned up, but hell, if I can work thru them, anyone can...!'

Hi esm glad you got it installed.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
I still think the comments2 MOD is useful...and will keep it on one of my sites...

Comments3 is more oriented to ratings...I looked at deleting all of the code relating to the fields dealing with ratings (except the "ratings" field ) and seems that I could do that without much problem....Seemed like the code related to the "ratings" field has to stay. But I left the code as is...just don't plan on using the rating scheme ( mine are comments with no need for any type of rating ).....never liked the breadth of a 10 scale anyway ( I do use the ratings scheme on Links but kept them at 6 to 10).

BTW, I live in Savannah, Georgia ( United States ) and will shortly be moving to Atlanta...and my company informed me today that I may have to go to London on business....I am looking forward to that...!and hope it happens...I've got my passport in hand...!

Anyway, thanks for the MODs....!

Gene
Quote Reply
Good luck and hope you get to go and have fun in London!

'Seemed like the code related to the "ratings" field has to stay. '

You could also get rid of this also if you want. To do so you'll need to go into comments3.cgi and edit (delete some pieces)the comments_add sub routine. You'd then just need to specify a different field for the comments to be sorted by.

This weekend I'll post on my site a little add on which works with comments 3 and can also work with comments 2.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
How insert header and footer in template comments.html, comments2.html, cmodify.html...ect..ect.....
thanks..

Quote Reply
Are your permissions set up correctly?
Good Luck,
Paul

Quote Reply
"How insert header and footer in template comments.html, comments2.html, cmodify.html...ect..ect.....
thanks.."

Go into site_html_templates.pl

Add the following in the relevent subs:

&html_print_headers;

(Don't add it in comments.html or comments2.html!)

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Hello,
I used lite version, but when i try to add a comment i've an error...

Sorry there was an error adding your comment. Please fill out the form and try again!
Contact Name (Can not be left blank)

But the form is complete...
Plese help-me..Thanks

Quote Reply
test the form again...make sure that you have characters or letters in the CONTACT NAME field.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I tried it.....but I've same problem...
Thanks

> >