Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

CS-RCS - great development tool, useful for Links developments!

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
CS-RCS - great development tool, useful for Links developments!
What is CS-RCS?
Quote:
ComponentSoftware RCS (CS-RCS) is a powerful, inexpensive revision control system. Use it to monitor changes made in files that are accessed by standalone or networked workstations.($75 value, No tricks, Unlimited free!)
CS-RCS allows you to:
- Retrieve any revision by any criteria anytime. Each revision is marked with a unique revision number, revision date, author name, optional symbolic name, and descriptive comment.

- Conveniently see what was changed between any two revisions. You can study the evolution of a function throughout its lifetime.

- Never lose any work because you can always backtrack. This is critical when there is a deadline and the last revision worked better.

- Work with binary files. You can maintain revisions of binary files such as MS-Word documents, pictures, drawings, etc..

- Save disk space. Since only the differences between revisions are saved, the archive file size is kept to the minimum size.

Well, this is not an advertisement. I use it since a few weeks and it's really great & useful software. It can be greatly used for Links perl, cgi developments, too.
It's very useful when you develop any text based things.
You will able to access, retrieve, or compare any older versions of a file.
In addition it's free for personal use.
Here it is:
http://www.componentsoftware.com/csrcs/ CS-RCS - The ultimate Windows Version Control System!
and
http://www.componentsoftware.com/csdiff/ CSDiff - Freeware file comparison tool for Windows

Warning: before you try it in real enviroment, please backup your files! It is recommended to learn it with test files, then work with real projects.
I warned you in advance! Responsibility is yours!

Good luck & enjoy!

Webmaster33
Quote Reply
Re: CS-RCS - great development tool, useful for Links developments! In reply to
Well, it definitely belongs to the Modifications Forum. Just remember those post, which posts full codes e.g. site_html_template.pl. With CS-RCS or CSDiff everybody can check the changed codes, so I hope it will lower full code postings...
It can also help creating Links Mods, because the users can check all modifications the did for a mod...
That's why I posted it here.

Webmaster33
Quote Reply
Okay...(Just wasn't clear in your first Post how it was being used with LINKS...yes, you said that you are using it with "LINKS perl"...)

May be a little more details of how you are using it in LINKS would shed some light on how it can be implemented with modding LINKS.

Wink

Thanks again...

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Well, CS-RCS basically is a text comparison tool. The advantage of it is, that it keeps old versions by storing just the changes, when you do modifications. Also it has many additional features which allows you to release major, minor, or temporary versions.
You have to try it to see the advantages...

So, how can be used with Links?
I just added my work files to CS-RCS, including cgi, pl, cfg & template files, but nothing else. Once you added them, they are monitored for changes. You define an initial version, e.g v1.0 or v2.0 .
Then do the development...zzzzzzzzzzzzz Wink

When you finished installing or developing a mod, just check the status of the work files.
If they are not changed, their status is locked, else their status is modified. It's easy, isn't? Smile

Now review all the changes in a modified file with the built-in compare tool. Check in the file, and make comments of the changes in the version description dialog box. When you click OK, you have a new version of the file e.g. v1.01.

You can compare to any version to any other, even to the current working version.
In overall, modifications can be reviewed easily. When you finish developing the mod, you can also make reports of the changes, and you can post it to the Resource Center Wink

I hope it was detailed enough.
Now, guys, it's your time to learn CS-RCS and take it's advantages into Links Mod developments...

Good Luck,
Webmaster33

[This message has been edited by webmaster33 (edited May 08, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Thank you...I appreciate the detailed explanation.

Helps in formulating decisions about whether to use or not use the product.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited May 08, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Thanks for the heads up...better Topic for the Discussion Forum, though.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply

Quote:
Helps in formulating decisions about whether or not to use the product.
I suppose you mean:
"whether use or not to use the product."

The original sentence can be misunderstood, that you don't recommend it Wink

Eliot, if you try out CS-RCS, let me know your opinion.

Webmaster33

[This message has been edited by webmaster33 (edited May 08, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
Eliot, if you try out CS-RCS, let me know your opinion.

Well...I have downloaded the application...I will see what it does. (I have my own system of keeping backups of files...so, I shall see if this application will save some time.)

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Decent product...I played with it a little tonight.

I did notice some bugs that Front Page users should be aware of...

1) If you mass import folders with files into the CS Document Explorer, and then delete the hidden folders and files...permissions of pertinent files, including the service.ink files will change their permissions to READ ONLY. So, you have to go into your Windows Explorer and change the properties of these files.

2) In terms of filters...it would be nice to filter out hidden folders and files when doing mass imports of folders/files. I spent two hours deleting files and folders that I do not need to keep.

3) While over-time, it may help to conserve disk space and time (in terms of organizing files), however, right now I see more disk space being used (8.0+ MGs for the program and 63 MGs for data storage...which seems like an exact copy of the data I have in other folders).

I will write more about the product as I use it more.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited May 08, 2000).]
Quote Reply
"Great" is an over-statement for this product..

User beware...

While Webmaster33 did warn about making back-ups of files before installing this software (which I did)...This product has really screwed up my file and folder permissions. It has also screwed up my Front Page Server configurations and extensions. (I had to re-install my Front Page extensions, which adversely affected the sub-webs I had configured.)

I don't really know if it will be worth it in the end after having to re-configure my system to get it working like it was before installing this software.

So, beware...if you choose to use it. I am not convinced of the benefits of saving disk space and organizing files more efficiently.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Mass adding files & folders is not recommended!
I wrote, just add the work files, not all your files... You even added all folders, including your Frontpage extension files, too. Bad idea...
- Just add your work files, e.g. cgi, pl, config & template files!!! You can add them even one by one.
- Don't add many hundred files. Don't add automatically generated files. Add just your work files max 100-200 files.
- You can make different projects. If you have more thousand files, divide them into more projects. E.g each service to a different project.

Webmaster33

[This message has been edited by webmaster33 (edited May 09, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
Mass adding files & folders is not recommended!

Good advice...However, even with adding a few files, they get locked and also file/folder permissions get messed up (again...meaning that I cannot edit files via Front Page...so, I have to re-configure my system.)

Quote:
- You can make different projects

Duh...I know this...However, even with making projects and not mass importing files, the permissions of files and folders are still screwed up.

I am not a happy camper regarding this particular software program...has a lot to be desired.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Eliot, it's your choice. The fact that you use Frontpage extensions, doesn't mean, that all Links users does. Some other people may still find this free software useful.

I found it really useful in my developments (Win98 system). That's why I posted.

My opinion is, it's a good software, but of course it has some errors, like Eliot wrote.
For me, there are not so big errors, so I decided to use it in my daily developments.

If anybody wants to try it, go ahead, but please take into consideration Eliot's & my suggestions for when you start using it.
Especially don't forget to backup your work files before you add some of them into CS-RCS.

That's all.

Good luck,
Webmaster33

Quote Reply

Quote:
The fact that you use Frontpage extensions, doesn't mean, that all Links users does.

Not a very accurate statement...I betcha if you polled LINKS users, you would find that a large majority use DreamWeaver, Front Page, and/or Cold Fusion for developing their web pages, which rely on stand alone servers for testing purposes. And the same phenomenon would most likely occur with these other web development applications.

Wink

Anyway...yes...be aware of SC-RCS limitations and try it at your own risk is the best advice I can give.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Eliot, your problem is, that you stopped at the first obstacle.

Did you see advantages of version management?, or comparing different versions?, or searching code parts which was added and notified in an earlier development phase?, or even just to make report of the modifications you did since a specified version?
I don't think.

Do you know exactly what modifications you did since the release version of Links v2.0?
Yes, I do exactly!

Are you sure in all changes? How do you store old versions? Separately? Not so fine solution.
And how about to revert back to an earlier version of a mod?

Well, you don't need to answer the questions.
I know these problems can be solved much better with CS-RCS, than without it.

Thread closed.

Regards,
Webmaster33

Quote Reply
I wasn't even able to get to that point because the application is more detrimental that it's worth.

I had to re-install Front Page and re-create all my webs.

So, I will not be using this application.

Sorry...in my opinion...it is way too volatile and has potential of disrupting people's systems rather than assisting them with managing their files.

Quote:
Do you know exactly what modifications you did since the release version of Links v2.0?

Uh...yes, I do...

I have a history file and I also have comments in the scripts that includes dates, links to Topics/Mod pages, and also Mod Author information.

Quote:
Are you sure in all changes? How do you store old versions? Separately? Not so fine solution. And how about to revert back to an earlier version of a mod?

I keep them in separate folders. May not be as efficient as what this application is supposed to do...I revert back by referring to my history files, which shows the last date when the file was worked on and I revert back to that particular file.

Wink

But to each his/her own. One man's/woman's trash is another man's/woman's treasure!

Quote:
Well, you don't need to answer the questions.
I know these problems can be solved much better with CS-RCS, than without it.

At this point, I highly doubt it!

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply

Quote:
I keep them in separate folders.
I did the same earlier. Now I don't even need to store them separately. I can treat all version in one place.
Quote:
One man's/woman's trash is another man's/woman's treasure!
That's true Wink

Webmaster33
Quote Reply
I also tried to use this tool to no avail, seems the install was missing a few files? Thanks Eliot for your informative posts, although I do not use Front Page I decided this program may not prudent to use based on the horrible install, your comments, and the the little time I spent using the program.

I did however think that a tool like this would be extremely usefull so I would like to post an alternative to CS-RCS for anyone who is intersted. The program is called Code Save and can be downloaded at the following url http://www.datalog.ro/delphi/codesave.html

Just a note** the install runs in French (I think) but the program and all help files ARE in english. I have found no problems and find it very easy to use

Good Day Smile
Ian
Quote Reply
I checked the site you wrote. It seems a good tool with easy interface. However it uses Borland database engine, what I really hate, because I used several software which used this db engine & I had many problems with them.
Still seems you are right. So I will download & check CodeSave 1.5.
I will post then my opinion.

Thanks your information!

Webmaster33
Quote Reply
cs-rcs.zip - deleted. Sorry to hear about all the probs you had, AnthroRules. What a bite. Good intentions, though, webmaster33.
Quote Reply
Let you have the chance to choose.
So here is an another version control system, named QVCS.
www.qumasoft.com/features.htm

Webmaster33

[This message has been edited by webmaster33 (edited May 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
I searched the web for more version control systems...

So here is a great resource site with them:
Notice, that commercial doesn't necessarily mean, that the product does not have a free version. E.g. CS-RCS is commercial, but if has a freeware version for personal use.
Commercial version control systems: www.cmtoday.com/yp/commercial.html
Free version control systems: www.cmtoday.com/yp/free.html

There are many programs on these pages. If you try some, please post your review or opinion about it.

I think a version control system can be very useful in Links developments. It would be fine to decide, which one is the most useful & easier to use for us in Links developments.

Many software gives the ability to work in group enviroment, so there would be possible to work together on Links with help of a version control software.
All versions could be stored on a central server, so everybody could develop Links improvements.
There should be somebody (an administrator, e.g.: Alex) who decide a version change is worth to release,
and if yes, he allows the version release of that file.

It's a nice dream, but sometime later would be great to become true. Wink

Let we choose a version control software we all would like to use.
I'm waiting your software tests & opinions.

All opinions, reviews are welcome.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

[This message has been edited by webmaster33 (edited May 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
Many software gives the ability to work in group enviroment, so there would be possible to work together on Links with help of a version control software.

All versions could be stored on a central server, so everybody could develop Links improvements.There should be somebody (an administrator, e.g.: Alex) who decide a version change is worth to release, and if yes, he allows the version release of that file.

A nice "pipe dream" at best. The question to ask before exploring a worldwide file management system for the development of modifications is to ask the question:

Will there be a Links 3.0 (flat file system)?

As the Family Feud states:

And Survey says.....X

(nope)

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Webmaster33:

Thanks for posting more alternative programs.I hope people can get some use out of them, whichever one they choose. I will personally stick with Code Save, I like its simplicity, and it does what I need it to do.

AnthroRules:

Regarding centralizing a file revision for Links...
Quote:
Will there be a Links 3.0 (flat file system)?

As the Family Feud states:

And Survey says.....X

(nope)

I think creating a "central revision area" would not really imply a new development of Links by Alex, but a way for new users to track different mods directly in the file, wich could reduce most of the redundant posts in the support forum, which I think you would be a Big fan of. Wink

I am quite aware that this will never happen though Smile

Just food for thought,
Ian Galloway a.k.a NoFatals
Quote Reply
Welp, I starting playing around with Norton 2000 yesterday...and low and behold, they have a file comparison feature...not as robust as the other options listed in this Topic...but does the same thing of recording changes. In addition, it is a nice tool for people using Windows servers because it provides line numbers and also shows changes in text between two files.

BTW: EditPlus is another program that is nice for managing files...my copy got destroyed during a hard drive crash two months ago, and the vendor was unable to find my registration form...so, I did not want to bother re-registering and paying another license fee.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

> >