Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Ace Mods.....No More Updates....

(Page 1 of 2)
> >

Ace Mods.....No More Updates....
As many of you know people like JerrySu and AnthroRules have removed their mods. Well, unfortunatly i am now another one who is forced to do so. Mainly down to lack of support, and as both Anthro and Jerry have said many times before 'some links users are extremly selfish, and always want more'. I now agree to this, and due to that no more improvments will be made to my mods. I have removed one (the error mod), as Paul Wilson has released a better and improved version, but the frames mod and referer mod will still be available, but not updated any more.

Sorry to bring this news, but i'm sure other users will bring out new and better mods...Cool

Andy

Re: Ace Mods.....No More Updates.... In reply to
Well, but one little question:

Why must all other suffer, when there are some idiots?

Well, I can understand you very well, because I'm a supporter for another script, and some people are only going to request and request and request. But that's no reason for me to stop.

Well, it's you decision at all.

Yeah, I know, I sound like one of those idiots, but this is my opinion.

Regards

Michael

[ :: http://www.muyo.de :: ]
[ :: today a good day to die, let's install Windows ME :: ]

Stamina In reply to
It only has to be added that Jerry and Eliot (among others) have supported the Links community for more than two years. Both of them provided dozens of mods and hacks, not just two or three. It's a question of stamina I believe... Wink

Thomas
http://www.japanreference.com

Re: Stamina In reply to
Yeah, but its very disheartening when all everyone wants is more....more and more.... they never contact me to say thanks for the mod, only to say the want an improvment...do you see where i am coming from?

Andy

Re: Ace Mods.....No More Updates.... In reply to
Actually, i'm not removing them, just not doing updates to them. There is a different....Cool

Andy

Yea...thomas basically hit the head on the nail...I wrote about 10 MODs for DBMAN, 15 MODS for LINKS 2.0, and about 20 other miscellanous code hacks over the past three years.

Again, like I have already stated in other Threads in this forum...

I am no longer writing Mods or making my Mods available for the following reasons:

1) I have upgraded a majority of my web apps to LINKS SQL, so I am starting to lose knowledge of LINKS 2.0 and also I don't want to invest anymore time or effort with flat text file systems like LINKS 2.0.

2) I no longer have time to support Modifications. And for those of you who are complaining that the MODS are being removed, please take time to understand how much time and effort it takes to program MODS.

3) As youradds and others have mentioned, I really got fed up with LINKS users requesting more and more features, with only a limited number of users showing any sign of gratitude for the MODS and code hacks I provided.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Too bad you are a good programer, but you got to do what you got to do. Thanks for all the mods you wrote and not removing them.
Paul

Hot Web Hosting
Low cost web hosting:
http://www.thehotweb.net/webhosting

I hate to make another pointless post but it made me giggle when I read this.....

In Reply To:
Yea...thomas basically hit the head on the nail...
Was that on purpose or did you mean......

Yea...thomas basically hit the nail on the head

Smile

.....and I would just like to second your post.

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/

Thank you. In reply to
Andy,

I do appreciate your mods. And if I did not "thank you" before, let me say double thanks for always contributing and your mods.

Thank you SmileSmileSmile

Madonna

Thank you. In reply to
Eliot,

I really appreciate your contributions too. You have helped me tremendously. Unfortunately, your mods were pulled before I could of have used them. I am sorry you pulled them too.

Thank you again.

Madonna SmileSmileSmile

In Reply To:
Yeah, but its very disheartening when all everyone wants is more....more and more.... they never contact me to say thanks for the mod, only to say the want an improvment...do you see where i am coming from?
I fear the reason I never mailed to say thanks is that I assumed you wouldn't want more junk mail from yet another person saying thanks and I didn't want to run threads off-course with lots of "thanks - great mod" posts. I appreciated all the mods, though most of my "modding" was in the erra of widgetz and eliot. I am very glad that you (Andy) are not removing them because it is always a shame when such a great contribution is taken back and no longer exists for the Links community. Mods are what make Links great. Thanks to everyone who writes mods and takes the time to document and make them public for all the hard work. It is appreciated by all of us.

Ok, I've decided that I will still do updates to the mods, BUT only when i find spare time (not easy when you are a student).....everyone happy now? Cool

Andy
http://www.ace-installer.com

Yeah =)

You have 88 x 31 Buttons for your site? =) I´ll add one to my engine =)

Paul, what about you? You have one?? I won´t installl your latest MOD untill I have a button to show my thanks to you to the world =)

[ :: http://www.muyo.de :: ]
[ :: today a good day to die, let's install Windows ME :: ]

Thanks. The buttons and banners for my site can be found at http://www.ace-installer.com/linkus.php. I know Paul made a button, maybe if you message him or something he will send a copy to you :)

Andy

The Pied Piper of Hamelin In reply to
Sir, I understand completely. However, I wonder if you do so. Alex has orphaned Links 2 in the name of profit. JerrySu and AnthroRules have done the same --- and now you??? Are you to follow the 'Pied Piper' and leave we 'lamers' behind to reflect upon what could only have been? Please indulge me my folly...

If you remember 'The Pied Piper of Hamelin' you may recall this. I think it analogous:

When, lo, as they reached the mountainside,
A wondrous portal opened wide,
As if a cavern was suddenly hollowed;
And the Piper advanced and the children followed,

And when all were in to the very last,
The door in the mountainside shut fast.
Did I say, all? No! One was lame,
And could not dance the whole of the way;

And in after years, if you would blame
His sadness, he was used to say, --

"It's dull in our town since my playmates left!
"I can't forget that I'm bereft
"Of all the pleasant sights they see,
"Which the Piper also promised me.
"For he led us, he said, to a joyous land,
"Joining the town and just at hand,
"Where waters gushed and fruit-trees grew,
"And flowers put forth a fairer hue,
"And everything was strange and new;
"The sparrows were brighter than peacocks here,
"And their dogs outran our fallow deer,
"And honey-bees had lost their stings,
"And horses were born with eagles' wings;
"And just as I became assured
"My lame foot would be speedily cured,
"The music stopped and I stood still,
"And found myself outside the hill,
"Left alone against my will,
"To go now limping as before,
"And never hear of that country more!''

You can be the piper, Andy, now that your competitors have caverned with Alex. We love your mods. And, if we ask for more, be patient. Remember whom you are writing for --- the ones that were left behind.

------------------------
Lenon.com's Links 2.01
http://www.lenon.com

Re: The Pied Piper of Hamelin In reply to
Ok. I will try and be patient, but i do need comments and feedback on the mods....but remember i am a student, and i do need time to study...Cool

Andy

webmaster@ace-installer.com
http://www.ace-installer.com

Excuse me!

PROFIT never was a reason why I stopped writing Mods...read my posts regarding this issue and you will see no where that I have complained about revenue streams or seeking profits! I have never EVER charged for my modifications...

Please read posts more thoroughly before making assumptions about people's motives.

Thank you.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Snaphead, I agree with Anthro. How can you justify that. All of his mods etc. were done for FREE.

Anyway as far as I'm conerned if any links mod author is going away from links 'in the name of profit' then why shouldn't they? They don't owe you anything and are quite entitled to do this, you seem to be expecting them to stay here for ever and put in loads of work for free.

You should not be annoyed, you should just be happy that they decided to help out when they did.

I myself will be concentrating more in the future on producing custom mods for paying clients although I might post a few small things from time to time. Mods as Anthro explained above take allot of time to do and I feel I deserve a little in return for this.

Some times people in general seem to expect too much for free and become annoyed when they have to give a little back in return.

Good Luck!

Glenn

http://mir.spaceports.com/~glennu/

Ok...

Why are people complaining? They should be happy for what they got! Also, everything that they got was FREE! If you want a mod SOO bad, figure out how to do it yourslef or pay a professional. These people have made great contributions to the Links community and are now moving on for obvious reasons. There are still many knowledgeable people here to help everybody out.

I admit that I am not happy they are leaving, but I also am happy for what the did give.

Regards,
Ryan

Alternative In reply to
I believe every mod made is easily worth $3 to $15 or more.

I was thinking of one alternative in which gossamer-theads
could make additional income and mod programmers could also
make money too.

Set-up a pay per download area for mods.
Would be just like the 'resource' area but instead of
downloading / viewing for free - users would have to pay $3
or more per mod.

In this matter mod programmers might have more incentive to
make more mods (updates).

I already know what the leechers will say.

.... Oh, and those who have registared (paid fee)
would get mods either for free or half-price.

(I have several mods I've made and improved on, but I'm reluctant to make them avaiable)

And let me add - thank you, to all those who have made mods, and provided help in the forums

-Taylor
http://mainstop.com

Re: Alternative In reply to
Actually, LINKS SQL with its easy to install plug-in system lends itself nicely to this concept...and many Mod authors of LINKS SQL are now releasing shareware add-ons (plug-ins)-nominal fees to download plug-ins. The biggest problem with LINKS 2.0 is that most of the Mods I've seen have strayed from the core Perl library files (db.pl, db_utils.pl), which has caused compatibility problems, and thus many novice Perl programmers have struggled to install those Mods.

If LINKS 2.0 MOD authors stuck with subs already available in the LINKS 2.0 Perl library files, then your suggestion would work very nicely...unfortunately, I don't know how long LINKS 2.0 will be around to be honest.

They have made only one small upgrade in the past three years...and GT is wise to concentrate on more robust applications, like LINKS SQL, DBMAN SQL, etc. With the integrated Perl Module libraries they are developing, it will be quite easy to install and customize their applications as a suite of applications.

The future of web application development will not include flat file systems because of their overhead on server resources and also they are less flexible than SQL database applications. May be for low traffic sites, flat files are fine, but for medium to high traffic web sites, flat files just don't cut the mustard.

Anyway...I think this Thread has gone on long enough, IMHO. I would recommend that in the future, this type of Thread be posted in the LINKS 2.0 DISCUSSION FORUM.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

AnthroRules and others --- you are missing the point. Alex is driven by, and to profit, as well he should.

You have written (free) mods for HIS program, not your own. How does HE profit by this? The short answer is, he doesn’t. Are you not, in effect, stealing HIS glory as well as HIS (potential) profit? Now, because of ppl like YOU (not us) he was decided to orphan Links 2.

Like 'The Pied Piper of Hamelin', he has promised 'greener pastures' (that's a pun, son) and you have blindly followed him.

Who has been left behind in the process? True to the story --- the lamer(s).

There is no doubt that CGI/Perl is the defacto programming language of *NUX servers. If you wish to follow him to oblivion, that's your choice. However, giving us Links 2 lamers one last 'shot' on your way out of town is wholly uncalled for.

Rest assured, Andy and others, will fill the gap left by Alex and his minions. In the meantime, don't let the door hit you on the way out...

------------------------
Lenon.com's Links 2.01

In Reply To:
You have written (free) mods for HIS program, not your own. How does HE profit by this? The short answer is, he doesn’t. Are you not, in effect, stealing HIS glory as well as HIS (potential) profit? Now, because of ppl like YOU (not us) he was decided to orphan Links 2.
I think you have got a real nerve making such a post. Alex profit by OUR mods as we keep people coming back to the forums as well as attracting others by word of mouth which result in sales/mod requests/upgrades for which ALEX gets the money.

Why don't you acually learn some perl/cgi yourself and make some of your own mods instead of expecting others to provide them on a plate for you.

By making that post you have probably made even more mod authors regret making their mods freely available as they now know that they have fallen into the hands of ungrateful, greedy people like yourself.

If it wasn't for people like Eliot, Jerry, Glennu, Alex, Junko and others you would fall flat on your rear-end!

Paul Wilson.
Installations:

In Reply To:
I think you have got a real nerve making such a post.
I never claimed I didn't have nerve. The fact of the matter is, my friend, "there is no honor among thieves." Expecting one thief to thank another thief for stealing a third thief’s idea is a little odd, don't you think? Yet, this is what these moral cripples would have us do. Their ransom is our undying honor and respect. I find the whole notion laughable.

In Reply To:
Alex profit (sic) by OUR mods as we keep people coming back to the forums as well as attracting others by word of mouth which result in sales/mod requests/upgrades for which ALEX gets the money.
Sorry to burst your bubble, Paul, but NOBODY ever made one red cent by giving away something for free. I think you've been hanging around Napster too much :)

In Reply To:
Why don't you acually (sic) learn some perl/cgi yourself and make some of your own mods instead of expecting others to provide them on a plate for you.
Because I'm lazy and stupid. And, your excuse is...?

In Reply To:
By making that post you have probably made even more mod authors regret making their mods freely available as they now know that they have fallen into the hands of ungrateful, greedy people lik (sic) yourself.
Uh... and your definition of 'mod author' would be...? My definition is "a shiftless hack that steals and passes off the ideas of another as one's own : uses (another's production) without crediting the source : commits intellectual theft : and, presents as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source."

Am I so wrong in refusing to glorify those that would bastardize someone else's work in order to satisfy their own sick craving (even demand) for public gratification? No matter how you wish to rationalize it, the unauthorized 'mod authoring' of some else's program is cracking and hacking --- slicing and dicing --- however you wish to put it.

I suspect their righteous indignation stems from the fact that they have stolen their 'mods' from some other source(s), modified it for use with ALEX'S Links 2 program, then called it their own. When someone asks them to modify the code or add additional features, the jig is up. They feel threatened by these requests, as well they should, and they respond in kind.

I have rendered unto Caesar what is Caesar’s. If the shoes fit, they can wear them. Otherwise, they can cast them aside. I don't know what's in the hearts and minds of these people, but I know that I tire of their constant need for adoration.

...just my two-cents. Take it for what it's worth.

------------------------
Lenon.com's Links 2.01

In Reply To:
...just my two-cents. Take it for what it's worth.
Don't worry, I do take it for what it is worth....nothing

In Reply To:
Sorry to burst your bubble, Paul, but NOBODY ever made one red cent by giving away something for free. I think you've been hanging around Napster too much :)
Who's giving something away for free?......I don't know what this has to do with anything.

In Reply To:
Because I'm lazy and stupid. And, your excuse is...?
I don't need an excuse *my friend* because I can write my own mods, and have done so, and have released them to the Links community and have also written mods for paying customers in private. I feel sorry for you that when you realize you can't get mods for free any more, you get the hump.

In Reply To:
Uh... and your definition of 'mod author' would be...? My definition is "a shiftless hack that steals and passes off the ideas of another as one's own : uses (another's production) without crediting the source : commits intellectual theft : and, presents as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source."
It's funny you should say that seeing as you are the one who so desperately wants these mods and when you realise than no-one is going to pass them all your way, you get very bitter. Again, why don't you put your time to some good use by learning to write the mods yourself and then you wouldn't have this problem.....or it is too difficult for you?....I expect so......that why you so desperately rely on others.

In Reply To:
No matter how you wish to rationalize it, the unauthorized 'mod authoring' of some else's program is cracking and hacking --- slicing and dicing --- however you wish to put it.
Do you actually know anything at all?....How can it be unauthorized when Alex welcomes new mods and ideas and a lot of the mods have never been made before such as MyLinks and 3 levels of new graphics and MANY others.....cracking and hacking[/b]????........Do you even know what those words mean because I think if you did then you'd realise how stupid you sound by saying that mods are *hacking* and *cracking*.......lol

In Reply To:
I suspect their righteous indignation stems from the fact that they have stolen their 'mods' from some other source(s), modified it for use with ALEX'S Links 2 program, then called it their own. When someone asks them to modify the code or add additional features, the jig is up.
I think you will find that most of the mod authors are quite capable of writing their own code and responding to others requests...(just not yours)

In Reply To:
I have rendered unto Caesar what is Caesar’s. If the shoes fit, they can wear them. Otherwise, they can cast them aside. I don't know what's in the hearts and minds of these people, but I know that I tire of their constant need for adoration
I think you need to get out more and stop quoting childrens stories and shakespeare.

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
> >