Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Changing accents within categories.db - French

Quote Reply
Changing accents within categories.db - French
Ok, before you start telling me about "read the forum before asking the same questions", I just want to make it clear that I just spent the last 7 hours on it trying to get accents on my categories name and nothing worked. I am pretty bright and even after reading your solutions 10 times, I cannot make it work. The non-english thing might work for Germans, but it sure does not work for French.

Ultimately, what I did is to go into my categories.db (Data directory) and add accents to my categories already there. When I go back into the admin and update my pages, it writes this:

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Invalid characters in category name: /Littérature. Must contain only letters, numbers, _, / and -.

Will that be a problem or is this OK? And if that will be a problem, clearly tell me what to do to get those accents there. I am not alone to not have understood your solutions, because most of the users who asked the same questions still don't have accents on their directories (I visited all their pages when available, obviously they tried and gave up!

For a Canadian company in a country where French is an official language, you could have made the effort and make sure accents could be entered in the categories name!
Quote Reply
Re: [girard] Changing accents within categories.db - French In reply to
Use the NonEnglish mod that is referenced in the Resource Section.
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Changing accents within categories.db - French In reply to
I did and it does not work! And as a proof that it does not work, have a look at all the websites of all the people who asked you about accents and that you answered this magical answer about that nonenglish mod, none of them have accents on their category names! Please give me another solution!
Quote Reply
Re: [girard] Changing accents within categories.db - French In reply to
My god! It actually works! Yesterday it did not, but today I can see that new field when I add a category. When you add a new category, there is this non-english field in which you enter the category name with the accent (after replacing the files from the nonenglish mod with the ones on your server). It was simple, but for some reason it was hard to understand. It still does not explain why most other French users still have no accents on their directory! Thanks, now I can start working on this...