Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Multiple Categories Mod for Links v2

(Page 3 of 4)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Categories Mod for Links v2 In reply to
1) There have been codes posted in other forums to fix the <br> problem.

2) Make sure that you still have the following variable in the links.cfg file set to 1:

Code:
$db_single_category

like the following:

Code:
$db_single_category = 1;

Also, DogTags posted a fix to one of the bugs found in the db_utils.pl file. Keep on searching.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply Eliot.

I seem to have fixed the issue with ~~ being replaced with <br>

As for my other issue, the variable IS listed as $db_single_category = 1; so I'm not sure where the problem lies.
It's not a huge issue, but the altcategory mod must have done something to change this.

skotty
Quote Reply
Again...look at the Thread that DogTags posted about this issue.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
Scotti

How did you manage to overcome the <br> problem??

Wouldnt it be nice if the people who write the mods updated the instructions when bugs are found..

Not that im ungreatful!! it just would save alot of wasted time and effot here by those dedicated helpers IE Eliot

------------------
Regards
MDJ
http://www.isee-multimedia.co.uk
Quote Reply
That is a good suggestion.

BTW: All the mods I've written are constantly updated based on bugs found and also requested add-ons...but as I have mentioned before...I am through writing new extensive Mods...

Sorry.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
In db_utils.pl:

exists $in{$name} ? ($in{$name} .= "<br>$value") : ($in{$name} = $value);

change the <br> to ~~

I am assuming the person who changed this was trying to get a better format for the add_success page, but the change he implemeted also had adverse effects towards other areas of the script. Smile
Quote Reply
I have one issue unresolved with this mod.
After installing it, i changed the email-add.txt and email.mod.txt
files to incorporate the altcategory tag:

Title : <%Title%>
URL : <%URL%>
Category : <%Category%>
AltCategories: <%AltCategories%>
Description : <%Description%>
Contact Name : <%Contact Name%>
Contact Email: <%Contact Email%>

I figured this would work but it doesnt.
The confirmation email people are getting just says: Unkown Tag: AltCategories,
so something needs fixing to add this to the text files.

Can anyone help me with this one?

Thanks,
skotty
Quote Reply
skotty

This is NOT the only Thread that provides solutions to problems
related to the AltCategories Mod....

This Threads have solutions for your current problem!

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/002222.html
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/002801.html

USE the search engine...Found these Threads in less than a minute using Exact Search Match for AltCategories in email.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Hi all,
I just added the Multiple Categories Mod, this Mod works fine except that it add 2 links in $numlinks EX:

Softwares (2) new
instead of
Softwares (1) new

I followed the instructions and check several times I'm 100% sure I didn't forget a thing.

you can find this mod here:

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/links-mods/

If someone have an idea to fix that please let me know. Thanks in advance guys :-)
Quote Reply
loopy - not certain what I'm doing wrong here, but the altcat field doesn't become a drop-down field in the add record view.

It's just a plain field to enter text into.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Ørjan Sandland
Quote Reply
I have implemented the AltCategories Mod. Now, when I view info about a specific link in the Admin search results page, all the fields below Category are pushed up. The Description information is in the AltCategories field, contact name information in the Description field, contact email information in the Contact Name field, etc. etc. The Receive Mail field is empty. I looked over the changes and they seem to match the most recent changes that you specified.

Please advise. Thanks.

Quote Reply
As discussed many times in this Thread and in this forum...you need to UPDATE your links.db due to the new field you added in the links.def file.

There is a script that will update your links.db with a delimiter for each record for the new field in the Adding Links to Links.db FAQ, which is located in the Resource Center.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks. I assume you mean the "Directions on adding additonal fields in your links.db". If so, I tried that script and here is the result:

Opening output file . . .
Processing records
Undefined subroutine &main::split_decode called at links_convert.pl line 15, <DB
> chunk 1.

Line 15 is: @rec_in = &split_decode($_);

Not being versed in Perl, I'm not sure what is happening.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks. I assume you mean the "Directions on adding additonal fields in your links.db".
Yep...that is the one.

Make sure that you are using the COMPLETE absolute path to db_utils.pl in the require line in the upgrade.pl file.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Multiple Categories Mod for Links v2 In reply to
Hi - do you still confirm the
efficiency of http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/links-mods/ ???
say yours please
Quote Reply
Re: [antoined] Multiple Categories Mod for Links v2 In reply to
When I use this mod my db is totally mixed up?! Frown

I.e. instead of the links description I get the Contact Name. Big problems with the field numbers. Does nobody else has any problems with this?
Quote Reply
Re: [C.] Multiple Categories Mod for Links v2 In reply to
Did you read this post by Stealth, just above your post?

Quote:

As discussed many times in this Thread and in this forum...you need to UPDATE your links.db due to the new field you added in the links.def file.

Did you add a new field, in the proper place, in the db?

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Multiple Categories Mod for Links v2 In reply to
In Reply To:
Did you read this post by Stealth, just above your post?

Quote:

Did you add a new field, in the proper place, in the db?

Yes, I did that. Links that HAVE a description don't give any problem (every field is on the right place), but links that DON'T HAVE a description are mixed up. Instead of the (empty) description I see the Contact Name...

C.
Quote Reply
Oops... I've got to learn counting... I missed one field on those links with a description... Sorryyyyy Blush

Btw, a tip for those that use the top 10 list mod (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ces/jump.cgi?ID=2057). You've also have to change the numbers of the fields used by this mod.

C.
Quote Reply
Welp, glad you figured it out...one piece of advice, you should not manually edit the links.db file, you should do one of the following:

1) Use the upgrade.pl script (codes are available in old posts in this forum)

-OR-

2) Download the links.db file to your computer and use Excel to add new columns, export the worksheet as a tab delimited (or whatever you chose for your delimiter) text file, re-name and links.db and upload the new links.db file to your web server.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Multiple Categories Mod for Links v2 In reply to
In Reply To:
Welp, glad you figured it out...one piece of advice, you should not manually edit the links.db file, you should do one of the following:

1) Use the upgrade.pl script (codes are available in old posts in this forum)

-OR-

2) Download the links.db file to your computer and use Excel to add new columns, export the worksheet as a tab delimited (or whatever you chose for your delimiter) text file, re-name and links.db and upload the new links.db file to your web server.

Thanks for the tip! Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Bogus] Multiple Categories Mod for Links v2 In reply to
I am having the same problem as Bogus with the altcategories mod, everything seems to work fine, but the alternative category links do not show in alternative categories. Has anyone found out what the problem is with the alt categories mod?

Please help!

ThanksJake
Quote Reply
Re: [awwa] Multiple Categories Mod for Links v2 In reply to
In Reply To:
I am having the same problem as Bogus with the altcategories mod, everything seems to work fine, but the alternative category links do not show in alternative categories. Has anyone found out what the problem is with the alt categories mod?

Actually I found out that the alt categories mod of the multiple categories mod does show links in multiple categories if you use the build all sub. If you use the staggered mode the sub is not building the links in the alternative categories.
Anyone have a fix for the bug. I believe the bug is in nphbuild.cgi’s sub, build_staggered.

Thanks a million

Jake
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Actually I found out that the alt categories mod, or the multiple categories mod does show links in multiple categories if you use the build all sub. If you use the staggered mode the sub is not building the links in the alternative categories.
Anyone have a fix for the bug. I believe the bug is in nphbuild.cgi’s sub, build_staggered.

Thanks a million

Jake
Quote Reply
I don't think this is a 'bug' in the mod, but maybe an error in your installation, or a perhaps a conflict with some other mod/code change you made prior to installing this mod. The Multiple Category mod as posted on the online-sweepstakes site works fine, I have used in more than one Links install.

Recheck your code, add be sure to add #comments to the code when you change something, to make troubleshooting easier. For instance, if you change code withing code that has already been changed for another mod, it's possible either one or both will not work. By placing #comments in the code, you will know what is not original...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
> > > >